Pile of Scrap: Dornier Do 335 "Ameisenbär" 1/72

Chiefpettyofficer

...we all are victims of Shermans march to the sea
Ok, after a short break I started the next project: Two Do-335s!
The first one is the single-seater A-1 version from Revell, the second one is the Night-Fighter version A-6 from Matchbox. Here are the first pictures....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wow that brings back memories, I have the night fighter version (released as a a Revell kit). It was one of the first kits I built when I got an airbrush. Looking forward to your build/rebuild. I think the 335 is one of the really interesting German war period subjects.

JMac.

Ok, here are the first steps of rebuilding the 335s

I sanded down all color off the A-6, stripped all parts and replaced the "interior" with self-made sheets.
After all, I glued the fuselage together.

Cause the panels of the A-1 once were cutted out of the frame, they werent easy to rebuild, so I had to remove the engines and apply a substructure from Evergreen-rods. That makes it easier to held them in place while the glue getting dry. At least, I filled all slots with Revell Plasto putty.

Thats the work on the A-1. I filled the nose with small stones to get the right weight.

Looks good C.P.O. That's fair bit of putty work on the A-1, the fit is not so great on these older kits.

Not sure if you have heard of this solution.... To putty removal?

You can do a test first! Cuz what I see in the background is Revell putty!

Try Tamiya lacquer Thinner and see if it takes it away? Rub against the line you are trying to fill...
Not along it! Or you will create a gully! Make sure the thinner you are using is compatible.

What I use is Tamiya grey putty and I wipe it off with Tamiya lacquer thinner and it works great!
Almost no sanding required!

Of cours you need to do that while the putty is fresh! Not rock hard!

Good luck with you double build..... Those older kits brings back a lot of memories.

Norm.

Love seeing those older kits getting built. Great progress, keep up the good work.

@ Norm: Thanks for sharing that solution. I will keep that in mind and try it with Tamiya putty. I still use Revell putty, thats correct. Im about to change my stuff, so I use up all enamel colors and other Revell gear cause of pollution. I also kept them for a long time, and they wouldnt get better....

After all the old stuff is gone I stock up a new assortment ;D

Im looking for some unusual markings for the A-1. Maybe I found something in my Decal-Box :)

Ok, we have a little update here :D

I add the wings on my A-6, some fuselage structure and the interior. I also start to rebuild the gear. I used Evergreen styrene to rebuild buffers and bars, cause some vital parts still missing.

Both Dorniers got their basic color today. A dark green basic color of the "Schweizer Fliegertruppen" (Airforce of Switzerland)

Nice progress. Grat working adding that detail into the gear bays. Love that base color too. Almost looks like a dark OD.

Thanks, I decided to add a late "Fliegertruppen" scheme to get some different Colors in my collection

Here we have the first pictures from painting the swiss strips on the Do 335s. A Masking-Insany :)

Latest posts

Back