Panel Scribe Tool ??

urumomo

There's a few panel scribing tools out there ( only a few -- 3 ? -- curiously HLJ doesn't have em . ? )
... but -- I've been doin what I need to do with knives and points ---
SO , the question is : what do ya'll use and what the heck is this tool ( tools ) ?? . I assume it's a point with a concave cutter cheek .,., but me not sure :p .. Scale Hobbyist has this : http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Tools/BMF00000013/product.php?s=4&t=0&u=8
The description makes me wanna dance with my dogs ....
Give me some input herdsters ;D

My wife is a dental hygienist so I have all the dental tools I'll ever need...but if you want to go small budget, I know some who have successfully used their pin vise with a needle tightened into it...

I use dental pics also I can get them at the med supply store for pretty cheap.

I went through a few tools side by side and dental picks were the worst ones in my opinion. (For me they were) Breaking the tip off the end of an exacto blade worked better, but don't use the sharp edge, but the flat edge first. In other words drag it backwards.

The best was the Tamiya scribing tool. So much easier to use than the others.

But I keep the dental picks for small areas and and hard to reach places.

Pretty much, but whatever they did, it works very well, and you can get consistent results pretty easily.

Dental tools do work but I have made less slips with the tamiya scriber.
Dunno if its the design, sharpness, or co incidence but it just seems to give better results on longer panels like doors and bonnets or auto kits

You have that set ?
What's your beef with em , Capt'n ?

What does the blade end of the Tamiya look like ? like the edge on a #11 ? different ? the hook shape is for maneuvering or does it play into the way it cuts ?

Should be able to get the Scale Motorsports ones in the US easy enough since they are made there.

I have an old set here somewhere that I won. Basically the same type of blade as the Tamiya one, just it can go in an Xacto or Excel handle.

The Tamiya tool has the blade on the back side, so it is very similar to using the back side of the blade to score panel lines.

I don't have the set you posted, but a set of chisels from Micromark. They were for scribing panel lines and don't work as well as dental tools.

another vote for the tamiya scriber...

IMO the only reason to use something else is to start the areas a tamiya tool wont/cant reach

I have heard great things about the Trumpeter scriber.
I have one on order to try, should be here in a week or so.

I like using a needle in a blade holder or pin-vice. By needle i mean a syringe, avail in different guages but for denser plastics a sewing needle also works. I think everyone finds thier own favorites so try different ones and use the one U like the best..Happy modeling. :)

I have tried the trumpeter scriber once since it arrived. My new favorite, especially for light scribing like the 72nd typhoon I built. Tamiya is better for thicker or deeper lines.

Latest posts

Back