P-47N Thunderbolt "Red-E Ruth"

JohnnyO

Mobilis in mobili
Here's my latest project, the P-47N, the last P-47 variant of WWII. I'm trying to match it as closely as possible to the reference photo below.

I'm trying to match it as closely as possible to the reference photo below.
jlCo1Ip.jpg

The original kit
ydA3BEG.jpg

h2nAPIO.jpg

First step, building the cockpit.
oKF9ksF.jpg

hmMMfZ9.jpg

9W0V7s7.jpg

LVx5xDP.jpg

Overall, progress has been going well. I'm not too enamored with this kit, there are lots of little details that have really poor fit and design, which has caused a lot of extra work. Below are some more pictures, along with my notes.

2oqiU0M.jpg

There is nothing really holding the cockpit in, so I had to reinforce it to make sure it wasn't wobbly or falling out later in the build once I sealed the wings.

LTE7uom.jpg

The fit on the machine guns is terrible, and the guns themselves don't have any detail at all to them. Lots of cleanup work needed here.

j2ln0r8.jpg

I tried to patch this area as best I could, but it still doesn't look great.

TvM3VHq.jpg

The landing wheel section just has a large open hole into the fuselage. Looks really bad.

vU4lAmf.jpg

To do the paint job, I painted the blue and olive drab first, then covered it before spraying the Aluminum.
HO3qqzv.jpg

I'm very happy with how the Testors Aluminum turned out.
nqa9uvF.jpg

Nice build, good work. Can I suggest a panel line wash, that would really bring out the finer details.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was actually thinking about doing that at a later date, once I get some extra supplies. I need to get some metalizer sealer to seal everything up before I do that, and I am all out.

Looks really nice. I agree with rookie, a pin wash will make it look even better. What paints did you use? I've got a MiG-21 in my stash and Alclad II paints aren't an option for me.

All the paints are Model Masters.

I used the Testors Model Masters Buffing Aluminum for the main body. Sprayed it on through the airbrush, let it dry, then buff it out with some cotton balls and Q-tips. I like it, but adhesion can be very finicky. I definitely want to seal it, because any handling right now can still rub off a little onto your fingertips.

I've heard really good things about Alcad, but they don't sell it at my local hobby shop. I'd definitely like to try it.

Latest posts

Back