Original AMT/ERTL Klingon Bird of Prey

ModelMakerMike

"It's Slobberin' time""
Here is the AMT/ERTL "Klingon Bird of Prey" model kit that I believe was issued in 1993-1995?
I bought and built it as soon as it hit the shelves. I had long awaited a release of this striking design.

KlingonBOPDetail2.jpg

Since I din't know anything about lighting a model, I painted the inside of the clear parts (Photon Launcher, and engine) with fluorescent paints so they re-act, and appear to light up when under a black light.
KlingonBOPFront.jpg

KlingonBOPSide.jpg

A fun build, I assembled it straight out of the box, I didn't remove any detail or add any. I sprayed the entire model in flat black, and then painted and dry-brushed the colors over it.
KlingonBOPDetail6.jpg

KlingonBOPDetail5.jpg

KlingonBOPDetail4.jpg

For the "Feather Panels" on the underside of the wings, I used a couple shades of red, and different amounts of coats to vary their appearance. Although these pictures don't really capture that.
KlingonBOPDetail3.jpg

KlingonBOPDetail1.jpg

On the top of the ship, I painted the "Feather panels" in a few different shades of green/olive.
KlingonBOPTop.jpg

Very cool. Amazing paint job with lots of detail. I can see the panel shading on the feathers quite clearly.

One of the cleanest looking BoPs I've seen. They're usually heavily weathered, but who's to say she's not straight out of the yard? Or just has a fastidious Klingon for a captain?

Quaralane said:
Excellent work on that one
Thank you.
I have watched your videos on the build of the Mutara, and found them very interesting, like your stuff, and your attitude.
I am just so grateful to find people who still enjoy model building. :)
I am so happy I found this site/forum.

It's a great place, I'll give you that.
And thanks for the compliments on my stuff.

Original AMT/ERTL Klingon Bird of Prey Now it GLOWS

Well, here it is with the black light on it. As you can see it glows.
BOPGlow2.jpg

Just wish I had a better camera. This one didn't want to co-operate in the "Low-Light" conditions.
BOPGlow1.jpg

Anyway, this'll give ya an idea of how it looks.
BOPGlow5.jpg

You can compare it to the normal light condition pix I have already posted.
BOPGlow3.jpg

BOPGlow4.jpg

I have thought about using florescent paints with a UV led to light up models. It would provide a much better glow and more even than what a lone LED can do. Great work with this one!!

Latest posts

Back