Old forgotten garage

Cheyenne

I'm building a garage for a post apocalyptic dio thingie I've got perking in my melon .
I started with 1/4 inch artists/presentation foam core board , got my shape I wanted , then cut my doors and windows .
I used coffee stirs for the tounge and groove walls and 1/8th inch thick smooth cork for the cinder blocks .
Then I schmeered regular old house spackle on the cork and mortar joints .
Spackle shrinks so there was no need to score the mortar joints .
Covering the cork with an almost invisable layer of spackle will prevent primer and paint from soaking into the cork and giving it an uneven paint job .
However priming raw cork for a weathered look with out the spakle coat gives you a nice uneven look where some paint has soaked into the cork more than other areas .
I was really stumped on making a conventional garage door ala like in my house .
Then I remembered a gas station down the street from me has roll doors , ...... so I tried to fashion them .
Ok pics.

Picture1786.jpg

Picture1788.jpg

Picture1785.jpg
Picture1789.jpg
Picture1790.jpg
Picture1794.jpg
Picture1796.jpg
Picture1801.jpg
Picture1800.jpg
Picture1804.jpg
Picture1798.jpg

This will be worth a watching :) I like the block work ...very impressive ,as is the roller door & chain .

Chris.

Love it Cheyenne, my sort of diorama.

I agree with Chris, great block work and roller door, look forward to seeing this one progress

Great work, Cheyenne! I love to see good ol' spackle being used, I first learned about using it for dio work in Shep Paine's "Tips" brochures in my Monogram kits in the 70s. Coffee stirrers, too--they work so well for so many things. We have a very nice gentleman who runs the coffee service that serves our office. When I told him once about using coffee stirrers for scratchbuilding, he gave me two boxes.

Love your cork cinder blocks, too, they look great!

I didn't see the scale, or sorry if I missed it. What's the scale of the project?

Looking forward to your next installment!

Thanks guys , much appreciated , ......... Baron , sorry forgot to mention that it's 1/35 scale .
I get my stirs at ShopRite , about a buck for a whole pant load .

Cheyenne said:
Thanks guys , much appreciated , ......... Baron , sorry forgot to mention that it's 1/35 scale .
I get my stirs at ShopRite , about a buck for a whole pant load .

Wow, 1/35? Even better, then. To me, it looks like a larger scale, from your detail. Great job!

Baron , here's the wasteland tanker I'm building by the future garage .

Picture1809.jpg

Picture1807.jpg

Picture1805.jpg

Some more pics of the tanker .

Picture1758.jpg

Picture1756.jpg

Picture1777.jpg

Picture1776.jpg
Picture1765.jpg
Picture1768.jpg
Picture1764.jpg
Picture1766.jpg
Picture1770.jpg
Picture1760.jpg
Picture1767.jpg

The tankers looking good, I especially like the welded patch on the tank - nice touch, great detailing.

Excellent work on the tanker.
Garage is looking good, if a little too...pristine

Wow the tanker is absolutely quality the rusting hulk..and like your stash of models as well

Nice work on this, Cheyenne. Looks like a "Mad Max" vehicle. The mesh enclosed windows and
arsenal in the cab....great detailing. Thanks for posting. Bill

Well between my job and my little Kommandants list of things to do around the house , progress blows .
I'm happy I've gotten this much done , my life is an exact copy of Basil Fawlty and Sybill on Fawlty Towers !!! ;D

Fish tank stones placed oooooone by one for the foundation and I've started the facade brick work ooooone by one , lets see thats one stone or brick placed , one beer for me , two stones and bricks placed , two beers for me ........ actually this isn't as bad as all that .

Picture1811.jpg
Picture1812.jpg
Picture1813.jpg
Picture1814.jpg
Picture1815.jpg
Picture1816.jpg
Picture1817.jpg
Picture1818.jpg
Picture1819.jpg
Picture1820.jpg
Picture1821.jpg

i love teh idea of the fish tank stones, but what did you make the bricks from?

Hey'ya Spud , how's it goin , .... I found some plastic thingies that had just about the right size for a couple different size bricks . Trimmed off the unwanted bits . Then I just coated the moulds with sewing machine oil for a release agent , then filled them with spakle , ...... bricks .

Sorry for all the gouly stuff it was Halloween when I took these pics.

Picture613.jpg
Picture614.jpg
Picture612.jpg
Picture611.jpg

That tanker is spot on my friend, also love the mandetory ghastly wallpaper.

Bookmarked for sure. ;D

Keep it up

"MANUEL"

Gag

ahh very nice, I have some rubber molds but i think i could do with a better sized mold the size just dont seen right for 1:35th

Gag , thanks man ......... Spud , I have different sizes so some can pass for bricks , others as stone blocks or cultured stone faux blocks that are used on cinder blocks and mesh , decorative stone .

Cheyenne, that is a great idea for making your bricks! Nice job of seeing and object and spotting that kind of use for it, good eye!

When I was a kid, my parents gave me a building kit that had vacuform molds, for use with plaster of paris to make bricks. You'd then glue the bricks together and build your buildings. They weren't very good, the kind of thing you'd find in the craft aisles back then, but I wish I had them now!

Latest posts

Back