Oblivion Bubbleship

Ian said:
Is this ready to purchase yet? :)

Haha! Unfortunately not! sorry for the lack of progress guys. This is still very much a passion project but it has taken a slight back seat to another project I partnered up for. I'm modeling, printing, mastering and casting the urethane "armor" parts for the Oblivion leather jacket for a guy on the RPF. The first prints should start arriving any day now and i'll be working at rather uncomfortable pace in order to crank them out and help finish up a leather prototype to finalize cost on the manufacturing run.

untitled107_zps5577c43f.jpg

Again, i'm only doing the armor pieces while a very talented individual is patterning and having the jackets made.

NecronautDrummer said:
Perhaps consider posting the 3D plans online. With the advent of home 3D printing (makerbot, etc), maybe some of us could take a crack at this 'kit'!

Thats certainly an option, but not one I was planning to use. I've seen time and time again where people post their 3d models and some low-life then goes in and takes credit for it on some other forum or website. Or worse, they try and sell the files as their own. Also, being such an OCD freak about my work I don't feel very comfortable just releasing it into the wild where someone may not do it justice to the vision i had for it. If i produce a kit, I would know that i'm providing a certain standard of quality that is acceptable in my eyes. I don't know if any of that makes sense and i probably worded that terribly. Oh well. haha!

Barsprojects said:
Wow, really cool project, Ian, and very ambitious. Not much to be found about dimensions (I found 7.6 meters for length which is 25 feet like mentioned before). 25 feet overall length in 1/20 scale would result in 15 inches or 380 mm.

Would love to see the drone being done too, it would make a hell of an alarm clock ;)

Barry

Barry, thanks for the information on the scale. Maybe its just be but I feel like i'd want it bigger than 1/20th if that comes out to 15in. I suppose thats the nice thing about 3d is that scale can always be changed!

I do plan on doing the drone after this as well. I saw one other person who tackled the Drone project that did alright with it. Another reason i want the bubble ship large is so that a Drone is still decently sized when set in the same scale as the ship.

Ian said:
Amazing re: the armor pieces

So you work in a similar industry?

Nope. Although a company my father started used to do ballistic armor plating for vehicles. They never got into body armor, but it was still fascinating stuff. The "armor" pieces for this will just be a 40 shore Urethane Rubber, very similar to what the prop jacket used.

I'm hoping to post some updates on this soon. I appreciate all the interest and kind words from everyone. You've all been very welcoming on this forum.

- Ian

Latest posts

Back