Oblivion Bubbleship

Bimmer

Hey all, new member here!

I've been searching for a scale model of the Oblivion Bubbleship and have not been able to find one. I'm not sure why there hasn't been a good one (that i could find) on the market so I decided to build one. I've been modeling it in 3ds Max for the last 2-3 days and will 3d print the model as a "kit" to assemble and paint. I don't know what scale my ship is considering i don't know how big the real one was, but I want this to be big and a centerpiece and instant conversation starter.

Right now, the model is scaled to about an 18in wingspan. The cockpit sphere will be about 4.5-5in diameter and the engine pods should be about 3.5-4in give or take some proportion and scaling issues.

This will be my first venture in building a scale model as most of the 3d work I do is for 1:1 movie props. I'm really excited about it and am shooting for studio quality in terms of materials, paint, size and attention to detail.

untitled86_zps12b3eab0.jpg

untitled85_zps65a64e36.jpg

2_zpse641a2c3.png

1_zpsfe604a04.png

untitled82_zps06b040d2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ian

This is going to be awesome. So awesome. I do know that someone is hand building a master for a 1/48 pattern but this will blow it out of the water (or sky...). Will you do a drone, too??

Cool idea.

Why not scale it to 1/20, and try to offer it as a cross-over to the Maschinen Krieger fans, too?

I've been looking for a model for this since I first saw the film. I love the movie, the ship, and the intricate work you've done on this. Bravo

Wow thanks everyone! I wasn't sure there would be much interest or excitement about this as there didn't seem to be much on the RPF (yet?) where i'm also posting my progress.

I just joined here and i'm glad i did as its always nice to have people appreciate your work. I really wasn't sure the response i'd receive especially from seeing some of incredible work done here. So thank you all for that!

To the Maschinen Krieger question, I must say i'm not familiar with what that is. Care to enlighten me? Also, what size would the model be if it were 1/20th scale? I'm not sure on overall dimensions of the actual ship.

I watched this movie last night and instantly fell in love with this ship. You definitely have my interest. ;D

It's 25 feet long, according to a bit I read about it, and maybe 12 feet high?

Also, have you seen these?

bubbleshipdes1.jpg

oblivion1.jpg

64467_637560459593353_923158742_n.jpg

Through the whole movie my main thought was "How cool would it be to make the model of this bubbleship!"
Good luck with the project! I will be among those following it for sure.

you can make a good amount of money if you were to sell copies of this. but i cant wait to see the end product

Perhaps consider posting the 3D plans online. With the advent of home 3D printing (makerbot, etc), maybe some of us could take a crack at this 'kit'!

Wow, really cool project, Ian, and very ambitious. Not much to be found about dimensions (I found 7.6 meters for length which is 25 feet like mentioned before). 25 feet overall length in 1/20 scale would result in 15 inches or 380 mm.

Would love to see the drone being done too, it would make a hell of an alarm clock ;)

Barry

Bimmer said:
...To the Maschinen Krieger question, I must say i'm not familiar with what that is. Care to enlighten me? Also, what size would the model be if it were 1/20th scale? I'm not sure on overall dimensions of the actual ship.

Maschinen Krieger is a storyline and models created by Japanese graphic artist Kow Yokoyama. He started the series in the 80s, as a serial in the magazine Hobby Japan, featuring his illustrations and original scale models he kit-bashed from various donor kits. If you search the forum, you'll find a number of threads on builds of MaK subjects. You might also be interested in visiting Bryan Krueger's Maschinen Krueger forum, http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/forum/, for more info on the stories, the kits and the genre.

As far as the size of a 1/20 model of the bubbleship might be, I'm afraid I don't know, I don't know the dimensions of the craft and I haven't seen the movie. But it seems to me to be the kind of subject that would have crossover for the MaK crowd.

Latest posts

Back