noob primer error!!

ceecrb1

yeah yeah I know, my own fault for trying to do this in the dark and for the first time....

Basically I´ve "over primered" my model in one area, its pretty thick, so much so that all panel lines are lost...

Is there a way to improve this situation a little (other than next time dont do it! hehe)?

I'm not TOO worried about this one, its just a practice spitfire for my sons bedroom... the "good" one for me is coming up haha

If you want to strip the paint, you can use a product called super clean or another one called simple green.

What I usually do is just sand it off and rescribe the panel lines.

If you only have primer on the model and no other paint then soak it in denatured alcohol. This will enable you to use a nylon brush or toothbrush on the the surface without marring the detail and panel lines. It takes some time but is achievable.
A riskier technique which I have tried and does indeed work (I stress you MUST BE CAREFUL) is to brush on lacquer thinner over the areas that the primer is thickest. The lacquer thinner literally melts off the primer. So the idea is to brush lacquer thinner on to the affected area with four or five strokes and then wipe the brush off on paper towel or a rag. On the paper towel or rag you can see how much primer is being lifted. Do not flood any area with lacquer thinner as too much of this solvent will eat away extremely aggressively at the plastic beneath the primer leaving you with a somewhat bumpy and melted surface. And by God man don't use this stuff anywhere near clear parts.
Better yet....stick with denatured alcohol. ;D

you can use awesome sold at the dollar store for a buck ;D i soaked my camaro in it over night and the primer came off, i used a tooth brush to scrub it off. please wear gloves when your stipping paint. i wil take a pic of it if you want to see what the bottle looks like

Latest posts

Back