new putty

some krylon, some dupli-color. I would get plastikote if Michaels still sold it.

I use Aves all the time. Thing is, I only use the "natural" colored formula. I think JustMike's problem may be stemming from using the black.
The natural colored stuff disappears under my old Walmart primer easily

Ah... yeah, that would definitely explain it. I, too, use the natural. OK, I am no longer confused. ;D

I used it tonight, and it seemed to go really well. I won't get paint on it for a few days, so I won't know for sure if it is better. I will post the results here when I am done. I too have the natural color.

Perhaps your application of primer is a tad to wet ,I have found with some fillers that if the first coat of primer is put on wet then the filler tends to swell a bit and does show under paint ,same happens if there is still moisture in the filler ...just a suggestion :D

Chris.

i use it all squadron, aves, tamiya, milliput, regular old automotive spot and glazing putty, they all work great!
Squadron can be thinned with nailpolish remover or lacquer thinner, its a great gap filler and it works great for adding a nice cast iron texture to the surface of your parts, just thin down with lacquer thinner and paint on for a awesome cast iron look.

Squadron can also be thinned with plastic cement ;)

Chris.

which brings up a whole other question:

Do I put the putty in a cup and add some acetone and mix or apply the putty then smooth with the acetone?

Not trying to be dense, honest!

I usually dip the putty in the acetone. If needed I will then smooth it down, but usually not with acetone. Just a q-tip that I might dip in acetone. Squadron white is just a little bit on the dry side, and a tiny bit of acetone goes a long way with it.

I did use the Aves on my corsair build, it went on really well with little or no effort to clean up. I will use it again!

Just Mike - I've done it both ways. Thin first then apply and also apply and 'clean' with acetone moistened Qtip.

What I've learned is that thin layers is key. Less sanding after dry, better finish, less chance of covering detail etc...

So much of making good models is simply about patience.

Just Mike said:
which brings up a whole other question:

Do I put the putty in a cup and add some acetone and mix or apply the putty then smooth with the acetone?

Not trying to be dense, honest!

I'll second Grendel's technique (and refer you to my post earlier in the thread ;D )
I will either apply the putty to a seam and use a cotton swab dipped in acetone to smooth it out and remove the excess, or put a blob of putty in a well on my palette and add acetone with an eyedropper, until I get the consistency that I want, and use an old paint brush, or one of my dental spatulas, to apply it to the work. It depends on the piece, which method I choose.

Latest posts

Back