New kits?

Umm,

using spare parts from other kits or your spares box isn't an issue.

The kit being entered is what matters.

Well Scott maid it clear and I understand and honor his decision that if the intakes were cut of then the kit was started. But for me it's the same as if you would want to built a tank for example and you just cut of the main peaces of the haul and turret just have the look on size etc. Because that's what I did I also cut the intakes just have a look and feel how the kit will present it self when finished.
Please don't take this as I'm trying to force my self in with this kit because I'm know I'm now looking for some solution. I just wanted to present my point of view.
Cheers
Lukasz

Biskup said:
Well Scott maid it clear and I understand and honor his decision that if the intakes were cut of then the kit was started. But for me it's the same as if you would want to built a tank for example and you just cut of the main peaces of the haul and turret just have the look on size etc. Because that's what I did I also cut the intakes just have a look and feel how the kit will present it self when finished.
Please don't take this as I'm trying to force my self in with this kit because I'm know I'm now looking for some solution. I just wanted to present my point of view.
Cheers
Lukasz

I totally understand your point of view. I have several kits with two or three parts removed for fitting tests or reviews or what have you that I would like to enter but I can't.

It's a little frustrating yes, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and someone has to be the bad guy and enforce the rule. I will look at other kits I have that have not yet been started.

Yes I am only looking at kits that have complete sprues with nothing clipped from them. This is how I'd take it and I say fair enough. However if you are scratchbuilding and borrow some "new" pieces from your parts box this would be okay. Using a part from another kit that was already painted etc. may not do the trick. For example taking a new body from one kit to put on another new kit chassis would be fine. Taking an old painted body from a past build and putting it onto a new kit chassis would not do. This is how I take it. Make sense? Sound about right?

I do have a question, Scott said as many entries as you like. Is multiple entries in one category okay?

ScaleModelMadman said:
Biskup said:
Cheers
Lukasz

I totally understand your point of view. I have several kits with two or three parts removed for fitting tests or reviews or what have you that I would like to enter but I can't.

It's a little frustrating yes, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and someone has to be the bad guy and enforce the rule. I will look at other kits I have that have not yet been started.

You are right I totally agree with you it’s a hard decision to make but someone had to make it. We should just accept it and respect it.
Cheers

Just my opinion on removing one or two parts from the sprue counts as starting.

I don't think this should count as starting, because... I have been doing this for nearly twenty years, and a good thing too. I remove the main parts like the upper and lower hulls to check for fit or warpage. This is the same as when building aircraft. For a plane you want to check to see if the fuselage is warped, cracked or any other manufacturing discrepancy. take for example the MIG T-62M resin turret. If I wanted to enter that conversion in the contest and didn't check to see if it fit the upper hull and ring, then I would have to wait until I received a replacement part...too late to finish for the contest. I did this with a JP that I bought resin zimm for, and the zimm didn't fit. So if I wanted to enter that model and didn't remove the upper hull to check for fit, then I would have to either buy a new kit or resin Zimm.

Most experienced model builders always remove the two or three main parts [hull or fuselage] to check the fit to see if some thing needs to be replaced....and this could be years before we ever get around to building the model.

The Ford T-bird I want to enter had the body and chassis removed from the sprue years ago. I am not sure if I did it, or my brother in law who gave me the model back in the early 90's.

I think if several parts were removed then it's started, but to remove the large main parts like upper and lower hull, fuselage halves should not count as started. I don't really want to buy another new kit(s) just to enter the contest when I have so many that only have the upper hull removed from the sprue, again just to check for fit issues. I also have too many other projects on the bench that have Mag deadlines and for shows ,and to have to order new kits for the SMA contest will most likely not get done in time. With the exception of the PT17 which I haven't opened YET I won't be entering. The PT17 is a very old kit and I do need to check the fit and parts and will hate to find a problem a couple of weeks into the build, and have to order a new kit.

Just my thoughts on the subject, but we'll have to wait until Scott is back.

Rob
scratchmod

Biskup said:
We should just accept it and respect it.
Cheers

;)

As Scott has mentioned several times, if you have a kit that has been started you enter it in the 'Everything Else' category, which allows started kits, finished kits, old kits, rebuilt kits, purple kits, future kits, broken kits, kitt from Knight Rider kits, kite kits, plastic kits, resin kits, wooden kits, train kits, simple kits, extravagant kits, little kits, your brothers kits, my kits, your kits, lost kits, etc.

;D

Scott Girvan said:
Yes - the categories that state (new build) have to be an unstarted kit on April 1st. Nothing glued, painted or otherwise started is accepted.

This keeps everyone at the exact same position.

The EVERYTHING ELSE category is the only exception. Totally completely or partially complete models are allowed to enter.

Hi Quaralene, I totally understood the rules Kit should not have been started, since I'm reserving and saving this one I had in my stack to use it in a local national competition, in the late quarter of the year. just like AMPS in your country. that's reason why I have to hop to the hobby shop for this competition. since I just restarted my passion for scale modeling late last year. I don't have a lot of stack like the other guys in this forum like Scared said, scale modeling is havin fun and sharing with other people who has the same passion like us. I know I'm not an expert on this, old habits don't die they just fade away.

Cheers!!!

OK so basically the kit has to be complete, in the bags and box sealed to count as new. If you opened the box and checked the sprues then you started right. ;)

Either way I still plan on entering and yes I will be having fun too. I'll be checking for some new kits at the end of the month at the model show. If I could I would enter in every category to help make the contest a big hit. Oh and if I do win anything I will be giving that prize to the next in line. Like I said I'm in this for the fun and support SMA. Oh wait, I forgot about my own website and forum :-\.

Boys lets have a blast with this.

Rob

scratchmod said:
OK so basically the kit has to be complete, in the bags and box sealed to count as new. If you opened the box and checked the sprues then you started right.

No, because there are many model manufacturers who do not shrink wrap their kit boxes, or put the sprues in bags so there are plenty of 'opened' boxes and bag-less sprues in un-started kits, depending on what brand they are.

To all

We are really depending heavily upon the honor system here, if someone really wanted to get around the rules it wouldn't be that hard.

If you have a kit that is un-started but you removed a part from the sprue to compare to another kit part, you could simply bury it in the box under all of the untouched sprues and no one would be the wiser. We are really splitting hairs here with all of this and in the end when you send your entry photo in to Scott, with the news paper/cellphone date and such, HE will make the call.

Lets have fun with this guys.

No problems with getting a new kit, or rather one that has all the parts attached. I respect the rules, but only wanted to make a point. Even if the sprue or box is not in plastic, the minute you open the box and touch anything, you have started. We all open the box and inspect the parts and then we plan the build...which is basically starting a project. Not many people open the box, take out the instructions and start glueing parts together.
But there are rules and I'm willing to follow, with out the cheating. There are more than enough categories for us, so lets have fun eh.

Ken good to have you hear enforcing the rules in Scott's absence. ;)

scratchmod

no problems with that part rules are rules... or if I may suggest, we could post all the sprues in one picture, for the staff and admin could inspect with. I totally agree we should be responsible with our built, if we cheat, then we are cheating ourselves big time... then there's no fun at all, just pure greed...

I do the same thing Rob said he does when he gets a new kit. I started doing this pre-inspection after finding damage that was done to my Sturer Emil. I bought the kit when it was first released 2005 or 06 but when I opened the kit thinking about building it in Nov 09 I found the left front lower hull corner just about ripped off.
100_0319-1.jpg

100_0320-1.jpg

100_0317-1.jpg

With a little low heat and friendly persuasion I got it all back in place.
As you know i'm just now building the kit.

I'm not stirring the pot here but just showing an example of Murphy's Law. ;D
Tony lee :)

I really don't see what the big deal is....

Un-started kit doesn't have to be sealed when you start, how many of us don't take the parts out and fondle them, then put all the parts back in the box, and the box goes on the shelf with the umpteen others until we are ready to build it. Everybody does that, and that DOES NOT constitute a started kit.

Most tank kits come with the upper and lower hull as a separate piece, and not attached to a sprue, if you took those parts out to see how well they fit together, and then put them back in the box, that DOES NOT constitute a started kit, as you never clipped the parts off the sprue.

If you however take that same kit, tape the upper and lower hull together, clipped off the main turret parts, taped them together, and placed it on the hull to see how it all fits....then YES, that is a started kit.

If you clipped the 2 halves of an airplane fuselage from the sprue, and taped them together to check the alignment, then YES this is a started kit.

The purpose is to make it an even playing field for everyone for the regular categories....an UN-STARTED kit is an UN-STARTED kit....this isn't rocket science, if all else fails refer to your common sense.

As Ken said, it is all on the honor system, we aren't going to be worried about the odd part that fell off the sprue in shipping, but if the kit looks to be blatantly started, it is going to be DQed for the regular categories, but could still be entered into Everything Else.

As far as the number of kits you can enter, I don't believe there is a limit, pay your $5 per entry, and enter as many as you like. So if you want to flood the Everything Else Category with kits you have finished in the past, pay your $5 a kit and fill your boots, however I don't think that is the vision that Scott saw for that category, as I believe it was created for those that have builds partially started, that don't want to start something new because of all of the "in progress" kits they already have on the go.

No cross entering in categories, IE: if you built a Mad Max Car for the Aftermath category, it CAN NOT also be entered into the Automotive category.

I agree with Scott, I had a T-62 Trumpy which the lower hull is completely separated. good thing there's a tread that we could ask the staff and clarify things before the competition started.

I have other question. What about the 5$ per entry do we have to make it before we post anything? Or do we post the starting picture showing the new kit and then we make the payment? Also how could I make the photo of a new kit what should I add in the background?
I know those questions might be silly for some but I just never came across something like that and I want to make it the right way.
Regards
Lukasz

Biskup said:
I have other question. What about the 5$ per entry do we have to make it before we post anything? Or do we post the starting picture showing the new kit and then we make the payment? Also how could I make the photo of a new kit what should I add in the background?
I know those questions might be silly for some but I just never came across something like that and I want to make it the right way.
Regards
Lukasz

Not silly at all.

Last year, we sent the photos to Scott's email, we didn't have to post them.

Some used a newspaper with that days date showing, others used their mobile phone with the date showing.

Some photos were simply opened boxes full of sprues and a news paper/mobile phone with the date.

The payment can be made when you want to, you could go the whole contest, build the kit and send send the finished photos. If you haven't paid the entry fee it wont be entered, if you can't send the five dollars for the first couple of weeks or something, it's fine.

Here is an example of what would work, you don't have to do exactly the same thing but this should give you a basic idea. Note the boxes are opened and some of the bags are too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

just my 2 cents,

maybe the staff or judge should inspect first the kit before we could pay the $5 on every kit we enter.

in my experience there's should be no background, if you see the guys here, might be it in a workshop, front of the computer, even the bedroom was included. just not to add some pressure to us.

PS. I thought we should pay it first before we could join... well that's a good thing. does it mean we should email scott with the pics and not to post it right away?

Eastrock said:
maybe the staff or judge should inspect first the kit before we could pay the $5 on every kit we enter.

The only person who will see the initial photo is Scott, unless you choose the share it on the forum in your own thread. He an he alone will make the call.

The only judges here on the forum, is everyone. The members here will vote on the finished builds, you can even vote on your own kit.

Eastrock said:
PS. I thought we should pay it first before we could join... well that's a good thing. does it mean we should email scott with the pics and not to post it right away?

If you don't pay by the end date, you just wouldn't be included in the final voting.

You don't have to post your work here on the forum if you don't want to, many people did not do this last year, some did... it's completely up to you.

The only thing required is the initial un-started photo, (sent to Scott) and then about half way through, you send Scott some progress photos. Then at the end you send him the final photos.

There is no requirement to post an active work in progress thread.

ScaleModelMadman thanks for the help I will just need to by a paper on the 1st of April. Also in Poland we state the date as dd-mm-yyyy and I know that in US it's mm-dd-yyyy ;)
Last question will a kit which was opened to make a in-box review be ok?? Nothing was doesn’t to it except presented to a photo like here :
http://forum.figurki.org/index.php?topic=1088.0
That’s not the thing I would enter but it’s just an example.
Cheers
Lukasz

Latest posts

Back