New kits?

Biskup

If I would like to participate does the kit need to be totally new and un-started? I'm asking as I have many started kits and would like to finish some of them and not start another one.
Cheers
Lukasz

Yes - the categories that state (new build) have to be an unstarted kit on April 1st. Nothing glued, painted or otherwise started is accepted.

This keeps everyone at the exact same position.

The EVERYTHING ELSE category is the only exception. Totally completely or partially complete models are allowed to enter.

sorry to butt in.

in regards to new kits? its there a scale-size category? like 1/35 or 1/72? sratch built or OOB?

Just a single category for each?

i see, just a single category for each one. Thanks for the clarification Jingles

Exactly - just different genres have their own category.

So in each category you can enter OOB, scratch built or somewhere in between. After Market is allowed too.

Ok one more question what about a resin kit which isn't glued or painted just the intakes are cut off. Will that be ok? I have kit which I might have a chance of finishing in the set time but I've cut of those intakes long time ago the kit isn't started in any other way then that.
Cheers
Lukasz

ScaleModelMadman said:
Biskup said:

I thought your name was Lukasz

;D

No I'm Roger 8)

I am geeked about the contest can't wait to start. I'm in the same position with alot of kits started.

Where does scratch built fit in if it uses some parts that are built ... example if I wanted to build a rat rod and used a few parts off old kits then would scratch build the rest of the vehicle. .... Never mind answered my own question asking it. ... If it was 100% scratch built from new materials that would be new. ... Right?

Roger - Yes - on the last bit.
Lukasz - No. Sorry friend.

I really, really don't want to be the super fussy guy but we gotta draw the line somewhere. This means that there cannot be any work at all on the kit. No exceptions.

A scratch build with 100% new parts is accepted. Taking a old truck that you built a long time ago and kit bashing it now is not accepted.

Clear as mud?

Clear as mud! ... lol

Damn my "Big Train" isn't eligible for the Special Theme Category... Oh well ... It's OK ... :'( .. lol

I have another vehicle I need to build anyway ;D

its clear as a mud.

I also have a new kit in stack, but the problem is competing with far more experience guys vs the amateur like me is a like competing with the giants. thought there would be a difference with an expert category and amateur ones. well rules are rules. I'll have to acquire a new kit for this one, for the spirit of Scale Modelling. ;D

No. I think you misunderstood.
What they meant by "new kit" was something you haven't started yet.

I understand the "new kit" part, "Can't be started" (Can it be outta the plastic wrap/bags? if not I need a trip to the hobby shop LOL). I'm still a tad confused on parts. Aftermarket parts are ok (yes) ... I have a 6 gallon tote full of parts. Plus 5 other smaller containers full of parts. Some used some not. Don't mean to be nit picky myself. Just don't want to plan a build and get into it and disqualify myself.

I'm guessing that if it is an unused part(not painted or glued) I can use it and it's still a new build.
If I sculpt parts and cast them it's still new.

@eastrock I get what your saying about competing against more skilled modelers. I am just getting back into the hobby after only a few years of being away and it has grown by leaps and bounds. I have learned more in the last couple months then I thought possible. All any us us can do is our best but most of all have fun. ;D

Jingles said:
Biskup said:
Well to bad. I'm out then. Maybe next time :)

You're not going to enter in the EVERYTHING ELSE category?

Jingles.
I'm still thinking but I wanted to take part in Sci-Fi category. Maybe I will just take part in figure category.
And about that what if I have a figure that I sculpted some time ago but it's still not paint will that be ok or it's not as I started sculpting and sculpted it before 1 April?
Sorry for so many questions I'm just exploring and trying to figure out with which kit I could take part in the contest.
Regards
Lukasz

darn, there goes half the kits i have in my collection - i tend to open and play around when i buy a kit, then stick it in the collection until i get around to building it. ...

oh well... do some more thinking on what to do ...

Jingles said:
As for removing parts from bags and clipping parts from trees, I would say that this isn't modeling and that the parts involved are therefore not 'started', but Scott will be able to tell you for sure.
But that’s the same as cutting of the intakes and that's not allowed.
Cheers
Lukasz

Hi guys, I see there are still a lot of questions.

'new kit' = un-started kit. If you removed the plastic wrap and gawked at the sprues that's okay you still haven't started the kit. If you've started removing parts from the sprues you've started, that's not okay.

We are trying to make this an even playing field as far as the starting point, if we let one person go with parts removed where do we draw the line? Does the person who didn't remove any parts but painted some on the sprue get a free pass as well?

It's always hard to make these decisions and staff spent a great deal of time behind the scenes hashing this out to make it fair for everyone.

;D

As far as the level of competition, or not wanting to compete against a better modeler let me just say this.

Last year a member won two huge prizes and gave one of them away to another member who didn't win. This could be you this time around... who knows. There may also be a few prizes that will get awarded to random people at the staffs choosing, you may be that person as well.

If you choose to enter, do it for the fun. Maybe after all the fun, you might even be lucky enough to win a prize. ;D

Latest posts

Back