Nerd Herd member Gary

Junkie

Hey,
OK, this is the worst news I've heard in a while.

Gary Porter - callname GARY here. He sponsored the Plowshares category in the last contest - suffered a severe rupture in a brain aneurism, Thursday morning. The internal damage is worsening and Gary is not expected to live through the night.

I will keep you informed as I learn more. I heard this via an email list. Not sure what his current condition is. Please pray for him and his family.

Wow, this is nuts. Gary is one of the good guys.

I know! Insane news. Insane.

Another testimony to how things can change so fast.

We had all better live our best lives while we can.

An update via the email list and is quoted:

I have just found out that Gary declared himself brain dead late last night. This is a medical definition as Gary cannot do it, obviously.

Gary has unselfishly (and characteristically) donated his organs for transplant. By passing on his own, many more organs may be harvested (also a medical term, as callous as it sounds).

I have not yet heard of any plans for a memorial service. I will pass any info I get as soon as I get it.

Rest in peace, my friend. - end quote.

Scott.

--bows head in sadness and prayer--
He goes to a much better place.
He truly was one of the good guys.

My prayers go to his family.

I didnt know him well, but I have met him on a few occasions at some of the regional hobby shows, he was a great guy, and will be missed.

C.

I have heard from a couple of guys in the Halifax club, and they are saying that he was his usual self the night before at their monthly model club meeting.

Gary is now looking down at us from the big modeling desk in the sky. Build one for me Gary.

Rest in peace my friend!

I was very sad to hear of Gary's passing. I knew him when I lived in Halifax when we were both members of the same club, HMMG. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Perhaps the family will taske comfort in the fact that he has touched so many of us in this community. I first heard about this in an e-mail train from the Sci Fi Modelers in Halifax. Then I see thjat there is a memorial to him on Aircraft Resource Centre. He was always starting something. Kits for Kandahar was a very notable achievement. he also challenged a few of us at HMMG to what if competition. A real Gentleman and he will be missed.

Update....

For those interested and able to go, I got this off of his Facebook profile which is wife is keeping people informed.

Gary's funeral will be on Thursday, November 25 at 10am at St. Francis by the Lake in Lower Sackville. Visitation will take place at Atlantic Funeral Home on Sackville Drive on Wednesday between 7-9pm.

I was a little shocked; it's tragic when someone you know (even briefly) passes away so suddenly. If anyone from the forum can go to the Gary’s funeral, I hope they will pass condolences along to his family from all of us as a community.

Thanks Scott. Does anyone know if the family is taking a donation to a cause in Gary's memory?

No idea, I have been looking for his Obit....but nothing online in the Halifax paper, and nothing at the funeral home....

Latest posts

Back