Anyone a member of ?

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
http://www.genessis-models.co.uk/index.html

I have found a few of their videos and like them, however to view the detailed SBS you have to be a paying subscriber. The build videos for each build apparently run 30-50 min and are about 10 per build so I hear. Just wondering if anyone knows more about this site.

Thanks,

I haven't seen the videos so I cannot comment on their quality. I will say that my experience has been that there is a TON of great material here on SMA that is free.

And YouTube, Never pay for anything like this its just a scam. Any Muppet can do these and for free i mean look at Scott :D

I do realize that most everything is free out there on Youtube. However it perked my interest that they did 5-6 hr Step by Steps on a particular model. This is something I have not seen out in "freeland", albeit, I am not sure I could sit through 6 hours of watching someone build a cool model.

spud said:
And YouTube, Never pay for anything like this its just a scam. Any Muppet can do these and for free i mean look at Scott :D
A scam? :eek:
Please explain how and why is it a scam to offer video builds on a pay site?

No different than Flory Models really.

He does his a bit different, you pay a small fee to be a member of the site and get the videos for free then, think it works out to something like $5/month or something. Nominal fee, but $5/month times X amount of members, and he is raking it in.

At the same time he also puts the video builds on DVD and sells them. They are high quality (All in HD) multiple camera angles and normally 8-10hrs plus of video.

Elm City Hobbies said:

He does his a bit different, you pay a small fee to be a member of the site and get the videos for free then, think it works out to something like $5/month or something. Nominal fee, but $5/month times X amount of members, and he is raking it in.

At the same time he also puts the video builds on DVD and sells them. They are high quality (All in HD) multiple camera angles and normally 8-10hrs plus of video.
Scott are you a member of Flory Models?
I am.
;D

I am not. I would like to be, but time is precious, and I think I would just be throwing $5/month down the drain as I wouldn't have time to get there.

I do watch his free video every week though, or at least try to. Glad he is putting them back on Youtube as they were slow as heck on his site, but that is probably more my internet connection than his website!

Elm City Hobbies said:
I am not. I would like to be, but time is precious, and I think I would just be throwing $5/month down the drain as I wouldn't have time to get there.

I do watch his free video every week though, or at least try to. Glad he is putting them back on Youtube as they were slow as heck on his site, but that is probably more my internet connection than his website!
No, actually it's a problem with his hosting company in the UK.
There's a few problems going on over there mainly with the video builds with more than 6 or 7 parts.
After 6 or 7 parts there's a problem with the videos loading on the main page.
Been going on for a while now.

I've been a member there for several years.
Mainly because of the videos, shows a lot of detail and things to do and not do on some kits.
I also like it because I can see what kind of problems I may encounter on a given kit and how to deal with it.
Funny thing, I don't know of anyone here in the US with a similar site.

Blacksheep1, You stated you have been a member of Flory models for several years, so am I safe to assume you have found value in the paid services? Also does the issue with the videos after 6 or 7 prevent you from viewing the rest of the videos?

I, like you, am interested in watching some detail build sessions on particular kits so that I can strengthen my arsenal of skills. While Youtube is great for most things, there are a lot o gaps on certain areas that people I thing assume is already known. Anyway, I dont mind paying a few bucks for people who are truly trying to provide a good service and I guess really for $5 bucks a month what am I worried about... I think I will just bite the bullet and try em both and see which i like the best.

THanks,

hook1169 said:
Blacksheep1, You stated you have been a member of Flory models for several years, so am I safe to assume you have found value in the paid services? Also does the issue with the videos after 6 or 7 prevent you from viewing the rest of the videos?

I, like you, am interested in watching some detail build sessions on particular kits so that I can strengthen my arsenal of skills. While Youtube is great for most things, there are a lot o gaps on certain areas that people I thing assume is already known. Anyway, I dont mind paying a few bucks for people who are truly trying to provide a good service and I guess really for $5 bucks a month what am I worried about... I think I will just bite the bullet and try em both and see which i like the best.

THanks,

Hook, yes I do find value in the site (otherwise I would not be there).
When I decided to come back to modeling, I did a search for sites related to scale modeling.
Flory Models (or ProModeller as it was called back then) was the first I found.
I joined up and found a lot of info to help me get back into the hobby after 40 years.

The issue with the build video bug, Most folks get around it by using Google Chrome and it works fine, you have all parts of a build available.
For me, I use my XBox 360 to view the videos and have no issues (kinda neat to watch on a 46inch TV).

Now the reality is, no one is perfect. There are things he does that makes me scratch my head and say "WTF?" but hey it works for him.
The way I see it, I watch the videos to learn new techniques, find the strength and weakness of a particular kit and, occasionally, learn what NOT to do.

In the end, I think that finding value in something is relative to different people. What might have value for me may not have any value for others.

Elm City Hobbies said:

Very true. Plus Phil comes up with monthly news updates that have a lot to do about the site. He offers up reviews of two or three kits in each update as well.

BlackSheep1 does this site specialize on one genre or is there various ? I may be interested in this for $5 a month if its all genres and not just the wingy things. I don't feel I have enough knowledge of building a scale model to try the wingy things or even Military in general. That's why I'm concentrating on automobiles till I get a bit of technique and Military paints in my arsenal. Then again if the videos he offers are that intense and valuable, maybe building a military or wingy thing may be in the future based on the knowledge Id learn from watching these videos on the said site your speaking highly of.

Hooterville, it's mostly aircraft but every now and then he does a tank.
He also has some videos on the basics of modeling covering all the basics from tools to airbrushing and various techniques like cleaning center seams on clear parts to super gluing, painting camo on aircraft to using Alclads etc.

There's a lot of good stuff to be learnt from Phil Flory (I was a member) - this new guy - Genessis Models - well you know what they say about imitation....
Regardless of which one I'd join for a year and get the most from it - stay longer if you think you'll benefit.

Well, I signed on to Gennesis Models and didn't last a month.
Don't mean to bash any one but this guy is a wannabe and sits very high on his horse.
If you make a comment on his channel to offer constructive critisism or correct an error, he consoders it an "inappropriate comment" and blocks you.
He was a member of Flory models at one time but decided that if Phil can do it so could he and is trying to copy Phil almost word for word to the point that he even uses the same spray extractor Phil uses.
Not worth paying money for that.

Flory Models has a section of videos dedicated to the beginner or those returning to the hobby.
Now that is a site worth $5.00/month.

Back