My first rock cliff

I’d ask you if that was a real piece of granite, but the fissures are too perfectly scaled down.
It looks exactly like a giant piece of ledge along an old highway here, except no drill marks.

How did you do that?
I cut a piece of styrofoam and carved it. Then, when I was satisfied with the look, I rolled an aluminium foil ball on every surface to add texture.

For the painting, I began with mixing Mod Podge with black primer paint to make my rock more resistant. After that, I painted most of the rock with a dark grey acrylic paint. Then, I drybrushed it with a lighter grey and finally I lightly drybrushed with a light beige color.

After the painting was completed, I add a black wash on all its surface and let it dry.

I then decided to sprinkle some clay on the top. To make sure the clay stayed in place, I use an eardropper to cover the clay with a mix of 50% water and 50% white glue. I let it dry and add another layer of this diluted glue. Once everything was rock solid, I added some static grasses. I mixed different colors of static grasses because in nature all the grasses are not from the same species.

And that’s about it. I am now building a second rock, a little bit different this time.

I’d ask you if that was a real piece of granite, but the fissures are too perfectly scaled down.
It looks exactly like a giant piece of ledge along an old highway here, except no drill marks.
Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate. Just have a try and go buy a piece of XPS foam and begin carving.

When I am modeling, I often search for pictures of the real thing online. Go on Google, search rock cliff and then click on Google Photos. You will have plenty of ideas to choose from.

It does look exact!

I got the almost exact same thing from the wife for Christmas.

A rock.

Half that size though and mine is said to be "A collectors item".

Rob.

Amazing results!! you should post the steps to reach this result.
In fact, I have posted them just higher in the conversation but here they are again :)

I cut a piece of styrofoam and carved it. Then, when I was satisfied with the look, I rolled an aluminium foil ball on every surface to add texture.

For the painting, I began with mixing Mod Podge with black primer paint to make my rock more resistant. After that, I painted most of the rock with a dark grey acrylic paint. Then, I drybrushed it with a lighter grey and finally I lightly drybrushed with a light beige color.

After the painting was completed, I add a black wash on all its surface and let it dry.

I then decided to sprinkle some clay on the top. To make sure the clay stayed in place, I use an eardropper to cover the clay with a mix of 50% water and 50% white glue. I let it dry and add another layer of this diluted glue. Once everything was rock solid, I added some static grasses. I mixed different colors of static grasses because in nature all the grasses are not from the same species.

Latest posts

Back