My first commission - A Sherman in Egypt.

alfonzo1

I am still fairly new to modelling (1 year) but felt the challenge of a commission build too irresistible to turn down. I had a part time job at a model shop (model zone, quit a couple of weeks ago to concentrate on uni) where I met a chap that wanted a model for a friend as a present so I offered my services.

I was given a photo of the guys friends grandad serving as a mechanic in Egypt working on Shermans. It isnt the most exciting build but the thought of having my work appreciated and a couple of quid in my pocket made the prospect exciting. He had already picked the kit Dragons M4A4 75mm, it doesnt have the right running gear but he was happy enough and gave me instructions of colours and so I set to work.

-The tarp is made of tissue paper (thank you scalemodelmadman).
-The figure is composed of 7 different figures and bit of milliput to get as close as possible to the pose.
-The dodgy looking sign is his grandads unofficial logo of a kangaroo with a soldier in its pouch, I made this on microsoft word then just printed onto ordinary paper.
- The base is an adapted extractor vent cover which is pretty much a photo frame just happened to be the right size and very cheap.
-The ground is polyfilla and a cheap builders sand.
- The dog is there as one was mentioned and shown in another photo, this was taken from tamiyas livestock pack.

There are a few things I am not massively happy with such as the decals on the side of the hull and the rope ties at the rear of the hull but time was against me. Despite this the customer was very happy with it which made it all worth while.

Anyway hope you guys like it and as always any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers Alan,

TDNk3.jpg

STzdd.jpg

Alfonzo1,

I like the diorama very much. Maybe I´ll "copy" it someday !!!! ;D ;D ;)

Excellent idea, excellent composition, and very good executing...

A perfect gift, really nice and original...
congratulations
RG

ALFONZO 1 ,

WAY COOL !!! You said you've been building for about a year ? You Crushed it Son !! Outstanding Job !! Great conversion on th figure, camo on th Sherman !!!

A Real Home Run !!! Keep up th Good Work !!

That is wikkid! Amazing likeness to the pic! Is it from an Australian unit or does it have the kangaroo sign as that was what some of those turretless Shermans were called(or so I believe)? Also, brilliant conversion on the figure. The whole diorama is spot on! Great work! :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I don't know a lot about the history, but it was a British operation not sure what the kangaroo connection is. Their main line of work in Egypt was to salvage the turrets from the destroyed shermans and put them on new hulls hence the turrentless tank waiting for a new one.

Hopefully will get a call from the chap receiving it in July so will ask away then as having built it I'd love to know more details.

Alan.

Alan,

First let me say congratulations on such a nice job after only a year in the hobby, your obviously well on your way to really nailing this modeling thing down!

;D

Second, thanks for the thanks, I'm glad the tissue paper tarp vids helped you out.

8)

Now, on to the Kangaroo thing. What is in that picture isn't a Sherman tank but a (Ram) Kangaroo which was used by the Canadians and British. If you look at the front of the vehicle, over his right shoulder, you'll notice it has a very flat nose section made up of fenders (mudguards), and the back section looks really curvy, very much like the cast hull Sherman tanks. The Ram Kangaroo was basically a Canadian built Ram 'cruiser tank' that was based on the US M3, that has had the turret removed and the interior changed to allow use as a troop carrier/reconnaissance vehicle. Just google Canadian Ram and I'm certain you'll find plenty of information about the donor vehicle, likewise if you google Canadian, or even British Kangaroo you will find much information about the pictured vehicle.

I'm not saying that is what the Kangaroo logo is all about but it would certainly make sense considering that is a Canadian (Ram) Kangaroo in the photo. If you click the attachments below, you can see some surviving examples, one in the Netherlands (IIRC) and the other in the Bovington Tank Museum.

* this is not meant to distract from your very nice work, it is just shared information.

HTH

[attachment deleted by admin]

You will not believe how long I spent looking at that front nose section!

I'd convinced myself after a while that it was a turretless Sherman II like below (courtesy of 'Military Modelling'). As my 'customer' had bought the kit and told me what he knew upfront I think I would have felt too bad telling him. Familiar with the kanaroo from playing too much Company of Heroes but missed the connection with the photo.

Thanks again for your videos, really took my modelling up a gear, keep up the good work on the blog.

Cheers,

Alan.

fG964.jpg

Latest posts

Back