MPC Darth Vader's TIE Fighter

Jaitea

Hey guys, I've got other projects on the go at the minute......but I had to start hacking this one a wee bit

DVTIE.jpg
DVTIE2.jpg

I have the FineMolds kit of this one & I like the way the ship goes together,.....unlike the MPC,.....you do all the interior work then discover the mismatched top & bottom hulls

So some scalpel work:

comparedtoFM.jpg
cutaway.jpg
Cuttaway2.jpg

I'm thinking of sculpting a new Vader for the cockpit & perhaps a more accurate interior

Thanks for looking
John

John I like this. I have the same exact kit waiting to be built! I have heard of the bad fit issues and the "Vader on the toilet" I think I can overcome the fit on the ship but the Vader issue is way above my skill set. Cant wait for your guidance on this on my friend!

I have built this puppy and it does need some TLC on the build. It get a worse rap than it really should. The ugly Vader, and he is horrible, but you can't see him at all once the X-1 is all buttoned up. Fit can be bad in some spots but clamps fixed that on my kit. The scale of this kit is great.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,10258.0.html

Can't wait to see how yours works out.

Ozzman78 said:
I have built this puppy and it does need some TLC on the build. It get a worse rap than it really should. The ugly Vader, and he is horrible, but you can't see him at all once the X-1 is all buttoned up. Fit can be bad in some spots but clamps fixed that on my kit. The scale of this kit is great.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,10258.0.html

Can't wait to see how yours works out.

Yea Ozz yours is outstanding. You did a fine job and cant really even see Darth. Nice!

Thanks very much for the encouragement guys:

Jake the bad fitting seam across the front is my main concern, so trying to copy the way FineMolds handled it seemed like a good idea.....(getting it back together is another problem)

Ozz, you did a cracker job on yours, love the paint job,.....and the base

Thanks G.....I'm sure you've got this one somewhere,....if you have it in your stash, I'll look forward to how this one would turn out for you with the added scale.....(your lit TIE is honestly the best I've seen)......

I've filled & sanded the join on the front,......started to scribe some panel lines:

scribe2.jpg
scribe.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

That looks perfect John! Nice seam filling. This is getting me pumped up to get my Tie out. Ill be watching closely.

Nice work on those seams.

Thanks for the complement, fine molds makes very nice kits.

I have two of these in the stash and should build one up soon. Just like the Eagle, and the falcon....

Jaitea said:
Thanks very much for the encouragement guys:

Jake the bad fitting seam across the front is my main concern, so trying to copy the way FineMolds handled it seemed like a good idea.....(getting it back together is another problem)

Ozz, you did a cracker job on yours, love the paint job,.....and the base

Thanks G.....I'm sure you've got this one somewhere,....if you have it in your stash, I'll look forward to how this one would turn out for you with the added scale.....(your lit TIE is honestly the best I've seen)......

I've filled & sanded the join on the front,......started to scribe some panel lines:

scribe2.jpg
scribe.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

i would suggest to you a lot of test fitting for the sections that fit into the left and right side of the arms that support the wings. those odd shaped inserts didnt fit to well when i last built this kit.

hope this helps

I've been doing a bit more to this build & it's turning into builds!

fronton.jpg
TopEngines.jpg
TopEngines2.jpg
Frontoff.jpg

I made some new details in the openings
Newdetails.jpg

After the advice I got on 'Keeper of the Force' site by Blake1 where he suggested getting the Revell kit and mould & cast the Darth figure from that kit for the MPC I just couldnt resist
So right enough the Darth is a lot better sculpted
TwoDarths.jpg

....and in turn I started making the same mods to this kit
AlongsidetheRevell.jpg
TheRevell.jpg

...while on eBay I also picked up another MPC for ......99p, the description had spelling mistakes so I guess not a lot of people saw the ad
99pTIE.jpg
....I also picked up the Revell picket kit for £2.....nice clean detail on this kit

RevellagainsttheFM.jpg
RevellvsFineMoldstop.jpg
Just a wee detail which is back to front
RevellvsFineMoldsbottom.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

The Darth Vader with the MPC kit is so pathetic....

good call on molding up a new one, If I ever get to this kit, I will have to take that route.

Thanks guys, a few updates on my Darth Vader TIE projects

I moulded & casted the Revell Darth ( theres one here that didnt turn out so good)
MPCVadergroup.jpg

I carved out the windows on the Revell kit:
Revell.jpg

preshade.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Looking good so far!

This old kit's fit problems are legendary. During my build, I found that adding a spacer behind the cockpit ball improved the fit of the leading edge of the wing struts. By forcing the centre of the fuselage apart, the leading edge came together a bit tighter. It also gave the fuselage more rigidity and kept the edge seams together.
jk_032508_tiexone8.jpg
Note the white spacer block to the rear of the fuselage.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,1480.0.html

Brilliant Splashcoat,....I just cut the whole front end off & worked like that,.....just copied FineMolds approach to it

J

Latest posts

Back