Mowe's Sky Glider - Studio Ghibli's Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind - WIP

Mikey_W_1980

Morning all, I've kinda put the Mig-37 Ferret on the back burner for the moment as I found this beauty of a kit at Birmingham Comicon a few weeks back.

The kit is from BanDai and is Mowe's glider from Studio Ghibli's first master piece - Nausicaa - Valley of the Wind

Will be making a start on it this evening, but I thought you'd all like to see the spru's.

DSC_0085.jpg

What it is supposed to look like when finished
DSC_0086.jpg

Spru set one
DSC_0084.jpg

The Glider Spru
DSC_0083.jpg

I have to say, the polymer used for the mould which I think is PS is simply gorgeous. Solid, extremely well detailed.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the kit justice and will keep you all posted.

Re: Mowe's Sky Glider - Studio Ghibli's Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind

Sweet! Love Hayao Miyazaki films! In for the build :)

I came VERY close to buying the 2 robot types from Laputa, but at £52 each.....my budget didn't quite stretch that far.

I may even watch Nausicaa while building it too ;D

I agree those robot are quite expensive... :(
Definitely a great inspiration to building when researching technical info about your build ;) ;D

I have this kit in the model stash, will be watching!

Bit of a slow burn on this...other things taking priority, but here are a few pics of the engine assembly.

Clipped, cleaned and base coated - All the parts are click fit, but I wanted to make more of an effort.

The parts click very tightly together so be careful when painting as some modifications may be required

DSC_0087.jpg

First top coat of gun metal
DSC_0088.jpg

Front view
DSC_0089.jpg

Underside (that isnt seen on the finished model)
DSC_0091.jpg

I have started on the wings, though the click fit assembly is proving fiddly. Sadly I forgot to take a pic of the underside of the wings, but I will hopefully have some bench time soon to do a bit more..

thoughts and tips are always welcome.

Managed a little more, this time just the primary wing construction, fiddly as the location pegs needed modifying so that the upper and lower engine housing fitted together.

Upper wing section
DSC_0093.jpg

Lower Wing section - needs a little filler on the seem
DSC_0094.jpg

Front profile
DSC_0095.jpg

Again, and comments are welcomed

Afternoon all, didnt get much bench time over the past week, only able to fix the wing tips, again, needing to modify the locator pins as they would not align properly.

Now glued with a coat of white so I can start to highlight and weather slightly.

DSC_0096.jpg

Next up will be the grab rails, and the figure of Mowe herself....which could be interesting...

Very cool. Great work so far. I've been wanting this kit for a while. Love that movie.

Ok,
Managed to get some bench time over Zombie Jesus Weekend, so far the basics are done for the the glider with movable flaps

DSC_0107.jpg

I've left the engine cover un-glued for access

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Not 100% sure how to approach any kind of shading or weathering to the glider...

Suggestions are always welcome.....thinking of a light blue wash to the seams...and possibly some light weathering along the leading edges of the glider wing.

Next up, Mowe herself.

Zombie Jesus... really... Its a VERY important day for some of us. Maybe a touch of respect in a public space is in order?

As for your weathering question... I vote aircraft weathering. Edge chipping as you noted, a wash, some streaking along the wings. That sort of thing.

Mikey_W_1980 said:
Ok,
Managed to get some bench time over Zombie Jesus Weekend, so far the basics are done for the the glider with movable flaps

Not 100% sure how to approach any kind of shading or weathering to the glider...

Suggestions are always welcome.....thinking of a light blue wash to the seams...and possibly some light weathering along the leading edges of the glider wing.

Next up, Mowe herself.

Ok,

A pour choice of words, no offence was meant by it at all.

As soon as I get some mre bench time I'll take a look at the weathering, I dont want to detract from the Studio Ghibli look, but certainly give it a realistic feel?

Latest posts

Back