Moebius Orion III

Grumpy Popeye

Hey guys,

Long time no speak!

I've been seeing a lot of this model on the other sites and I decided to chuck my hat in the ring and get one of my own,

While it's supposed to be an all new tool, it seems to draw inspiration from the (long discontinued) Aurora kit and the (somewhat innacurate) Airfix kit.

One thing I noticed was that there were a number of sink marks along the leading edge of the wings,

plus the Moebius logo on the inside of the wing created an oval sink mark!

I wanted to light the kit so that mean adding some detail in the engine exhaust,

The jet tip and vanes are glued onto a piece of clear styrene. I added strips of .010 styrene to simulate the grooves in the exhaust (I'm not going for 2001- accurate)

Jet exhaust is surprised,

The light array for the engines, a pair of orange SMD LEDS,

lit,

I decided to have the battery inside the model, so I closed off the fuselage just aft of the passenger cabin and installed a couple brass contacts for the battery.

I added a styrene ring around one of the posts to keep me from putting the battery in backwards.

Since the kit decals do not include the Pan Am logos, I took the opportunity to deviate a bit and had some custom decals made courtesy of HDA Modelworx,

Yep, this spaceplane is going to be part of the BSG-verse!

Unfortunately I have a pretty heavy sailing schedule so I've had to leave this on the bench for a bit

Awesome! Im a big 2001 fan, will definitely be tuning in, been wanting this kit for a while too.

Latest posts

Back