Modifying a Raider

Grumpy Popeye

As anyone who has bought the Moebius' Cylon Raider has discovered, the box art is a season 1-3 Raider and the kit itself is a season 4 Raider.

Being more of a fan of the earlier design, I decided to backdate the kit and light it.

Back dating:

For season 4 the Raider was revamped to look closer to the centurion, its face was leaned out and its scanner was changed to a V shape.

The first thing I did was to widen the "mouth" and to make a new grille by shingling strips of styrene. Once this was done the new grille was inserted and the rest of the S.4 details were covered over in Aves

You can still see hints of the original shape lurking under the surface;
53c15880.jpg

Here you can see that the forehead was built up to be rounder,
eded0f80.jpg

A little bit of Aves later, and our boy now has a viewport!
5e091231.jpg

Another change that was made was that the two wing bumps (the kit instructions call them the engines) have scalloped details. These were filled in. I' not sure if it's cannon or not, but I kinda like the outline of where the vents are located, so I may engrave the contour

1dc85855.jpg

My plan from here is to make a rubber mold of the front of the Raider's face, that way I can drill out the viewport, put the face back in the mold and restore the visor in clear resin (similar technique I used on the Serenity build)

After that there are a couple things to alter on the top of the wings, I'll have to square off the gun mounts and enlarge the bomb bays. one of the last things to do is to change the engine to something cylendrical.

Stay tuned!

got a bit more work done,

First off, I backdated the cannon mounts:
954ed173.jpg

Just squared them off with sheet styrene and filled in the major voids with Aves.

Now for a look at what it looks like overall:
776914b2.jpg

The head is ready to have a clear viewport cast in place, the gunmounts just need some holes drilled in them to accept gun barrels.

I'm not sure how much damage I want to add to him If I do make this into Scar. I was looking online and he's so beat up that it might look more like poor modelling skills than simulated damage! ;)

I guess I'll need to find a happy medium!

I got the scanner (unit) put together. Sadly I bought a generic 8 LED sequencer before the super cool and comprehensive light kits from Ant and Mr. Engineer came out. C'est la vie!

In the meantime, I broke Mr. Melty and got to work soldering! after wiring up the individual smt LEDs (0805's to be exact) I CA'd them to a rounded tab of styrene

88df2d6e.jpg

I started with the center and made my way outwards. thinking that the top would get too crowded with wires I put half on the top and half on the bottom
70e8402b.jpg

197fefa0.jpg

in the end I was rewarded with a perfect fit!
c09230c9.jpg

I've now coated the strip in CA and baking soda to make it easier to paint the LEDs with clear red. Then it's time to epoxy the lights in place and move on to the engines!

Meanwhile at the other end...

I've completed the three engines and have test fit them. the center engine is glued in place, I needed to see how the parts all work together, and what work will have to be done to the belly. Turns out a lot!

e36c0d73.jpg

35262029.jpg

The hole in the bottom is for the power jack

Wow! I like the backdate idea. I must try lighting a sci-fi build. Your work is first class!

Yeah....that's a tough call.
I want to say I like the single LED, but then the three LEDS works well too. Like you, I am having a hard time deciding. ::)

I'd say go with the three sequence. Looks closer to what we saw to my eyes.
This is coming along very nicely

I find myself agreeing with you guys. I tested the circuit, it remembers whichever sequence you selected after you turn the power off, so three it is and snip off the switch!

Besides, the worst it will do is revert to the single LED scan, making it a bit like an escalator (even when it's broken it still works! ;) )

3 makes it look like Kit from Knight rider, what was it like in the tv show,?? i cant remember

Time for the latest and greatest with my little post contest build!

I'm about 90% done with the basic conversion,
378fa409.jpg

next step will be to beat the hell out of it to turn it into Scar!

You can see that the lower part of the main fuselage has been extensively reworked, and the power jack is blended into the hull,
11022581.jpg

now with a coat of Mr Surfacer to blend it all together,
468bcb98.jpg

Looking at reference pics, I can see that I need to round out the edges of the missile bays, but that is an easy enough fix!

Latest posts

Back