Modelling rut

danimal518

Does anyone else ever get into a modeling rut, where you just don't know how to proceed?

I think I've hit that point right now. I know that I want to work on 1 of the 2 models I'm currently building, but I seem to have hit a wall. What do you guys do to break through?

I've been doing lots of reading on modeling techniques and stalking the forums.

There's usually one or two big ones I'm juggling and finish, but a number of side projects that only get half-done and shelved, sometimes for years! I think it's normal.

Just buckle down, play some good music or a movie in the background and git 'er done!

Have to echo what Cave_Dweller said here.
When I hit a rut, if I put it off, the rut just gets longer.

Part of why the Odysseus-A build took as long as it did

I have a stash of Eggplanes and simpler kits as 'slump busters'

I also figure that even if im not building, if im looking at forums, watching youtube clips, reading magazines etc about the hobby it keeps it central in ya mind.

Also going to the hobby store and getting a first hand look at kits, new and the completed ones they have on display can often kickstart an idea that gets the motivation levels up.

And of course the local hobby club and talking with other addicts.

I find these and other forums a real point of inspiration. Just keep pushing, placing that final decal or peeling off the canopy masking makes a huge difference. Sometimes it's hard to see the end. If in doubt start another one! I've come back to builds after more than 6 months, I get a real sense of satisfaction when I can put another finished one in the cabinet, regardless of how it came out.

As the SMA mantra goes " it's all about completion, not perfection" :)

Take a break is the best thing today. when you pick it up again work on something small and the juices will flow. :)

I've been building, seriously, for the last year. And I mean I have just been cranking them out one right after another. I was really burning myself out. And I had a couple failed builds because of it. So now I just slow down and work on my kits a little at a time when I feel like working on it. Sometimes I may go a week without even touching it. I find that actually helps and I am developing patience for building. Lack of patience will just kill you in this hobby.

Thanks for the pep talk guys. I'm just chugging along doing a little bit at a time and when I reach a snag or am waiting for something to dry/cure, I look longingly at my stash to see what side-project I could start and finish quickly; the answer is that I can start them all quickly, but finishing quickly is another matter altogether.

Latest posts

Back