Have you ever been stuck in a model building rut?

Have you ever been stuck in a model building rut?

• Yes - it's common

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Yes - but not common

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Junkie

This week's poll is: Have you ever been stuck in a model building rut?

The choices are quite simple - I encourage discussion. I'd love to hear how you 'broke through' modelers block and if you haven't experienced it yet your thoughts as to why not.

Thought I'd start. Yes - it's common.

I believe I stall on builds for one or more of the following reasons:

I take on too much - too elaborate and loose interest
Too much work hours leaving no energy for the bench
Paralysis of analysis

it happens a lot for me as well mostly due to work/life over load leading to not being able to concentrate on what to do. I will normally pull out an easy kit to build just so the model bug will get into my system again.

arohk said:
it happens a lot for me as well mostly due to work/life over load leading to not being able to concentrate on what to do. I will normally pull out an easy kit to build just so the model bug will get into my system again.

It does take a certain level of concentration for sure. Great points; thanks.

Lots of reasons here.

I find myself starting way more than I finish. I get distracted very easily.

I may put one aside because I decided it needs some aftermarket item that I don’t have.
want to be able to paint it a certain way and set it aside until I get a little more practice with the technique I have in mind.
Get burnt out with all the little fine small details or repetitive work.
Involves photo etch.
Burnt out on major cleanup work of parts.

The list could go on, LOL

But I really do admire the modeler that only builds one project at a time start to finish.

Plus it’s a pure joy when I get a model that I can’t put down until its done.

We got hit pretty hard at our work with a downturn in our workload, we offer a broad range of services, luckily the dept I work in kept our unit going......at times my dept got very busy....which was during last years BSC.

Now a lot of our depts are picking up and we dont have enough experienced staff to cover the jobs, which means that either I get more of my share of work in my dept because others in who would work along side me are needed elsewhere or I'm pulled away elsewhere.

Meaning I'm having to take work home more often

I am glad of the money,....but I feel wiped out & I can't get near my builds,....I can look but not touch

I do try and do a bit

J

I try and complete everything I start, and most times I do. But I have stalled and lost my mojo a few times, I was so keen on Star Wars stuff until I got into armour then I started looking at Star Wars models again but had to finish a Tank I was doing and kinda fell out of interest with both subjects. But sometimes all it takes is a nice comment or seeing someone else do a killer paint job and the insperation comes flooding back.

I some times get stuck and I know that focing thur is a bad choice as the end results on the kit aren't good. That's why in situations like that I try to motivate my self xby watching topic related movie or read a book.

Jaitea said:
We got hit pretty hard at our work with a downturn in our workload, we offer a broad range of services, luckily the dept I work in kept our unit going......at times my dept got very busy....which was during last years BSC.

Now a lot of our depts are picking up and we dont have enough experienced staff to cover the jobs, which means that either I get more of my share of work in my dept because others in who would work along side me are needed elsewhere or I'm pulled away elsewhere.

Meaning I'm having to take work home more often
This is all so familiar! Well, except the bringing work home thing - I can't do that because it's not allowed. However, I'm typically so stressed from work or odd shifts that I have little mental energy left when I get back home.

Back to the subject at hand - I am almost always in a rut. You could go as far as to say that I'm not much of a modeler at all, and I wouldn't be offended in the least. I like modeling, and I love the subject I buy kits for. My problem is I am such a perfectionist and I set the bar so high, I freeze in fear of making mistakes. It's a shortcoming of mine that I've been fighting for the last 20 years of my life. At work - no problem. It's a confidence thing, and I tear through work with speed and precision. I'm one of the most junior guys in my section, and I just today started working the Sr Auditor position because the last guy went to another team. All this in one year of working this job.

But at home, it actually stops me from enjoying what should be relaxing hobbies because I agonize over the details and miss the forest for the trees. Any suggestions, to include "Jon, pull your head out of your posterior"?

Sure, lots of times. I build many different things, wood ships, plastic cars, stick n tissue aircraft, and all kinds of paper. I usually solve the block by shifting to another medium for a while or resorting to pulling out a kit from my stash and looking at some reference material saying I think I'll do that next but I should finish what I was working on first. Usually works but then again I have 15 started project after a quick count just looking around.

Don't know if it is so much of a modelling block, just so many other distractions.

Internet, FB is a big time killer, as well I play a few games.

Sometimes it is easier to fire up NHL '09 (last one they made for the PC) and play a game of PC hockey for 15mins (or more) than it is to drag out the tools and paraphernalia to work on a kit.

As well, I bounce around from kit to kit when I do, work on something that holds my interest for awhile and then the new shiny toy comes through the door and tears my interest away from what I am currently working on.

It definitely happens

Distractions.
Lose interest in the build.
Build is taking more than I thought it would.
Tired from work.

And many more that occasionally crop up.

Sometimes, I just have to step away from whatever build is stalling me.

Yeah, I definitely gas out a couple times a year and just dont feel like building. Just like everyone else, life gets in the way, my day job is definitely taxing on my energy level. Sometimes its just hard to find the motivation. This used to bother me but I dont let it anymore. If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. I'll go and enjoy one of my other hobbies or maybe try to get into something new. The mojo always comes back and it feels really good and exciting when it does. I never know what will be the thing that makes me start building again and I really like that.

It's a regular occurrence for me too. I try not to force it, put the project aside and start something else and wait till I get enthusiastic about it again. This usually works for me and I don't have many long term unbuilt projects.

Happens whenever I get to something I don't necessarily enjoy doing...like masking and painting canopies or things like that. I've found I get interested in a lot of group builds and I end up getting too many projects going. I will usually finish them if I focus, but easily get overwhelmed....

I try mixing it up by cracking something new...a car or a figure and such...

Model time is severely split lately too...Friday afternoons are my one constant time...but I've lately been into playing tabletop games like Carcassone and Stone Age with my family, plus reading, working out to get into shape for baseball, and catching up on Game of Thrones and Dr. Who with my wife...

happens me every year, I force my self back to building and then i motor on for another year until i get distracted and get get back to in to it.

Yep, taking on too many projects at once, and over-thinking, both will lead me to stop building for a while. Then I'll find something simple to work on, and it's like an ice dam breaking and I'll get a lot of things done.

Latest posts

Back