Model Kit Help - Gloster Meteor

Mikey_W_1980

Morning All,

I wonder if you fine people could help me please?

I'm trying to locate a kit for the 1941 Gloster Meteor Jet powered by Sir Frank Whittles E.28/39 jet engine

This would have been it

Air_E28_39_Brockworth.jpg

I understand it also went under the alternative names of the Pioneer and/or the Squirt.

Any help, or pointing in the right direction would be great.

Hi,

The aircraft shown in the picture is not a Meteor, but rather a Gloster Whittle Pioneer. I'm currently building the very old Frog/Novo kit of this aircraft in 1:72. The Frog kit has been, released under a number of other brands over the years. Two other kits I know of (both are likely out of production) are a resin Pavla kit, and the Special Hobby kit.

My build thread can be found at;
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,10863.0.html

Here's a picture of a Gloster Meteor from Wikipedia,

Gloster_Meteor_Mk_III_ExCC.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers, I believe the Gloster Pioneer was to be later renamed the Meteor during 1943 when it was brought into service.

The twin engined variant, also called the Meteor as a later development.

I may be wrong though.

A little googling confirms your info about the kits, J.

Mikey, I think you're going to find a kit on the secondary market, like eBay, or at a modeling show, or longest odds, someone has one in his stash and is willing to deal.

An addendum...

I just searched now on eBay, keywords "whittle pioneer" and in the Toys & Hobbies section, there are 3 auctions now for kits. One, for Ark, in the US; one for Novo, in the UK; and one for Gomix, in Poland. Hope that helps!

Cheer Baron,

Appreciate your help,

Thinking of getting the Pioneer and an ME-262 for an aerial dog fight scenario about my pop's train lay out.

Complete with a German Leopold gun

I have a box full of the Frog kit in my shop if you are still looking for one :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back