Decal help

carthorse11

I have put the decals on my Lancaster using white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water and th wind line decals have gone all funny i will attach photos, is there anything I can do before I varnish

20240116_173732.jpg

20240116_173652.jpg

20240116_173605.jpg

20240116_173652.jpg

20240116_173605.jpg

I have put the decals on my Lancaster using white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water and th wind line decals have gone all funny i will attach photos, is there anything I can do before I varnish

View attachment 112625

View attachment 112626

View attachment 112627

View attachment 112628

View attachment 112629
You soaked them in vinegar ?
5% diluted to 2.5% acetic acid ?
You probably removed the adhesive so it's not bonding .
Why did you soak them in that solution ?

My thoughts exactly. All decals are usually soaked in water - not some crazy concoction of vinegar and acid.

I use Micro Set and Micro Sol during my decaling sessions. Micro Set on the area the decal to be placed; brush Micro Sol on top of the decal (helps smooth out any wrinkles and eliminate silvering; then spray a coat of flat clear to seal in the decals.

I just read somewhere that a lot of people use it ......obviousley not right

I've read of people using vinegar to soften decals after they are bonded in place , as a substitute for decal setting solutions like Micro Sol and Mark Fit .
I don't know how well that works . If at all .

The decal film is bonded to the backing paper with dextrose , and on very basic decals that is what bonds the film to the substrate , but , the majority of decals have an additional water based adhesive ( acrylic ) layer .
That acrylic film is very thin and acetic acid ( vinegar ) will dissolve acrylic .
It will depend on the decal too .
Some are more robust than others ., a 2 -5 % acid concentration is low , but enough if the adhesive film is exceptionally thin .
It also depends on the acrylic resin used .

But - there is no advantage using anything other than water to place the decal initially .

Could just be bad decals too . It happens .
Of course , adding vinegar definitely didn't help if the decal's adhesive film was already weak .

Yeah, using white vinegar as a setting solution is an old-school technique that goes back to the days before things like Solvaset or MicroSol and other products were generally available. I'm old-school, but even I've never tried using vinegar as a setting solution.

It’s all a learning curb, so far I’ve snapped the canopy ( I hate painting canopies they are a nightmare) then the vinegar episode. I am not 100% happy with it but as it is my first larger aircraft I’m not 100% disappointed either, as long as I learn along the way, going to try my panther tank as my next project as never done a tank before

View attachment 112625

View attachment 112626

View attachment 112627

View attachment 112628

View attachment 112629
Never heard of that for fixing decals, definitely heading for trouble I think. I have always used micro sol and set after being advised to do so and in 2 year's I've never had an issue. Pantherman

Care and patience, care and patience. And not being afraid to make mistakes. We all do. I like to look at my old builds-and I have builds from when I was in my teens-and see if I've learned anything.

As far as vinegar and decal setting go, I think that some commercial solutions have acetic acid as an active ingredient. But I need to go back and look at the products I have to be sure.

Please share that info IF you can find it .
I put Micro Sol and Mark Fit on baking soda and there was zero reaction . None .
I was never able to find any SDS or other info .
I have a couple of digital pH meters so I need do some more testing --- adding that to my list of things to do .

It’s all a learning curb, so far I’ve snapped the canopy ( I hate painting canopies they are a nightmare) then the vinegar episode.

You’re not alone when it comes to painting canopies. Time consuming and tiring. I’ve some my own masking using Frog Yellow Painter Tape.You do have two options….

Option one…

Order masks specifically for the particular aircraft you’re working on. The big upside to masks, is the ease of using them.

Option two…

Use Liquid Mask. After painting, they can be rubbed off. I bought Vallejo Liquid Mask over the weekend and haven’t tried it yet on my Lancaster kit. (Those greenhouse canopies are a nightmare to do when making your own masks)

You’re certainly not alone with other mishaps. We all have. Been there, done that. I’ve lost a many tiny parts from tweezers and they’ve disappeared to the vast unknown only to find them days or weeks later. Especially in places you’d never thought to find it. Ain’t this hobby great!?

Please share that info IF you can find it .
I put Micro Sol and Mark Fit on baking soda and there was zero reaction . None .
I was never able to find any SDS or other info .
I have a couple of digital pH meters so I need do some more testing --- adding that to my list of things to do .
Hi, Momo, I hadn't forgotten this post.
I checked the products I have right now, which are just Solvaset and Micro Sol, and neither have acetic acid listed. I can't remember where I saw that, but since I can't confirm it, I withdraw the statement.
Memory isn't reliable for testimony....

Latest posts

Back