merseajohn's A Wing 1.72 Resin

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Well I'v started on the 'Mister X 1.72 RZ-1 Light intercepter/Patrol Fighter' ??? I bought it from the starship modeler store for $54.95 (plus about $15 postage to the uk) So I was expecting a top notch resin kit....well its going to be a challange but its still a nice little kit and should scrub up quite nicely. The only things that appear to be innacurate are the guns and cockpit. The sides are horrible though as you can see from the photo's any idea how to fix this? And I wouldnt mind lighting it but I'v never lit a resin kit before :-\ Here are some pics after I cleaned them up.

IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
IMG_0927.jpg

YIKES! Talk about air bubbles. Looks like an Aero bar. (milk chocolate candy bar full of air bubbles - let it melt.)

Gonna half to sand those sides back and then try to build it up with putty. Maybe some Aves.

I thought about sending it back but they havnt got any in stock and I'm in the uk so it will be a long process. It's a shame because I bought a Retro Sci fi 1.72 snowspeeder from them and I'v never seen anything like it its sooooo crisp absoloutley wonderfull then I get this and its eeeww. :p But I like a challenge!

Wow!! I do quite a bit of mold making and that is bad. Specially at that price. Think I should start making my own kits. ;D

Another tactic might be to incorporate the worst of it into some kind of battle damage

Still, though. Looks like you have your work cut out for you

Reminds me a lot of the Thunderchild I built a while back. It was that bad on one side. Took me weeks to get the micro voids filled. But the A wing is one of my favs from Star Wars!!

John Lester told me about some texturizing stuff that people who paint landscapes on portraits use. Apparently, you just smear it on and wipe and it fills bubbles like that.

Also, I've found that if you soak it in orange clean, some of the bubbles might swell thereby filling themselves in the process. That's been my experience.

Not much you can do with a cast like that. What happened is the fact that resin boiled so you have that kind of air bubbles not only on surface but also inside the cast. There's no easy way for filling those up. You will just have to putty each and every one individually. Trying to put something over it hoping it will fill them might not work. Had similar problem some time ago and I every thing was ok till I started painting then the thinner reacted with the layer and opened most of the holes again.
If you can try to get a refund or a new kit, it would save you a lot of trouble.
Good Luck.
Cheers
Lukasz

Thanks for all your tips guys, Iv basically used plastic putty and filled the worst, I'm not loosing sleep over it I'm just going to dive in and start painting it.

I would not hesitate to request a replacement... ASAP !

that is just.. un-acceptable in today's standard...

That is either a bad batch of resin... or just Stirred too darn Fast and
not even given a decent Time in a Pressure vessel !!!

I would be Furious to get "Bat Guano" like that for my Money !!!

I would not even try to fill those.... it looks like a Micro Meteorites strikes... !

anyway ! my 2 cents.

I have taken all of your advise and packed it up. Its going back first thing in the morning! Now wheres that snowspeeder?..
And just so its not a complete waste of a thread heres my amt a wing I made last year.
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

thats the first option, pack it up and ask for a refund... but the problem is shipping it back to them, since you are in UK, it will also cost money.

2nd option: you can dip it in a very wet white cement just to seep some cement inside the resin, instead laborious puttying..

just my 2 cents

Thanks Eastrock but its been packed up and sent out. Shame.. just means I get to start modeling on something else!

I am a big A-Wing fan and good to see someone jump right into it.
Shame about the condition of the kit though..I don't do very many resin garage kits for the same reason..I've never enjoyed dealing with the flaws in the molding.

Latest posts

Back