Meng Pickup

COol, cool. I ordered the masterbox insurgents figure set too. Just to give me a couple more figures...and that will be it for plastic.

Been looking at pics of Toyotas all night..and started looking a pics of Libya too. So much reference, unreal.

Once this kit is in I'll post a proper review.

noc5659 said:
Great subject. I have been wanting to pick up one of these. This model truck is the one used by us special forces in afganistan during the early part of the war. They were used by Delta Force in the battle of Tora Bora.
Here is a link to a reference photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ussocom/3027566855/#

Looking at that photo, I guess there is no mystery as to where Meng got their inspiration for the 2nd truck.

I think MIG Productions got some inspiration from that one too:

35145.jpg

oh very cool scott, i beleve somone said its suposed to build like a tamiya kit, mabe you can tell us if this is true. im looking forward to what ever you do with this because you have a very wide range of paint jobs to choose from :)

I'm almost thinking the 'classic' white with red stripes. I've seen TONS of them in that style.

Nice and beatup of course...but we'll see. All these starwars ships are white....so I might try something else.

Guys...just a quick thought. I have a T72 that's ready for paint. If there was a sensible way to incorporate that tank into a dio with this truck I might consider it.

Trying to model a burnt out tank would be too much...the kit is ready for paint.. A couple holes in it would be possible.

I dunno..just thinking out loud here. Not even sure if the T72 served in Libya lately..??

Didn't see any photos of them, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. They would have likely been pounced on pretty hard by NATO.

I know the rebels had some interesting mods for their T55s.

HWR MKII said:
A T-62 would be more appropriate.

I agree, definitely the more common out of the two.

Having said that, I do believe that Libya had at least 200 T-72's. There was a story back in 2010 and a bit from that states:

Russia will modernize about 200 T-72 main battle tanks for the Libyan Army over the next few years, a Russian defense industry source said, "A 1.3-bln euro [military-technical cooperation] deal signed between Russia and Libya this year includes the modernization of about 200 T-72 tanks which have been in service with the Libyan Army since the Soviet era," the source close to negotiations told RIA Novosti.

I think these in the photos attached are T-72's

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks guys..Sean - Ken.

Man...I think I should just keep it simple. Build the truck alone, the tank alone. It would be cool to have a knocked out tank....guy standing on it, flag cape and all. That would really tell a story...and then the truck...kinda illustrating how the 'small' people defeated the 'big' dictator...

But the tank is built...not primered yet...road wheels or nothing like that glued up, not the hull parts either....still kinda tricky to damage it now.

I dunno. It sure would tell a great story. :-\ :-\

Tut !! ...Thought you'd started then ::) ....lol ;)

Chris.

Huh? I'm lost in translation.

tut? King tut? tuttie? misplace a vowel? lol.

Hehehe ;D To Tut ...as in disgust ..to make a tut sound ;D Tut ,thought you had started ::) ....lol

Chris.

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks guys..Sean - Ken.

Man...I think I should just keep it simple. Build the truck alone, the tank alone. It would be cool to have a knocked out tank....guy standing on it, flag cape and all. That would really tell a story...and then the truck...kinda illustrating how the 'small' people defeated the 'big' dictator...

But the tank is built...not primered yet...road wheels or nothing like that glued up, not the hull parts either....still kinda tricky to damage it now.

I dunno. It sure would tell a great story. :-\ :-\

Your T-72 has the older 6 spoke wheels oin it . If its the tamiya kit it most likely was based on an east german or other export variant of the T-72. The one in the pics has newer 8 lug wheels. Another reason id go T-62 is that there are cheaper kits out there made by Esci and rereleased by ertl. Also trumpeters newer 62. Be a shame to shred a new costly model then an older one could suffice. There are also older Zvesda repops of the dragon T-72 that can be had for pennies comparativelty and could do in a pinch.

Yeah, good point Sean. This is the Tamiya kit...I don't think I'll destroy it. Might ebay around for a 62 though...thanks.

This one looks like is has 6 lugs...honestly I'm not all that worried about it. I wouldn't model a King Tiger next to the technical...but I'm not too worried about using the 72.

index.php

Latest posts

Back