Making starship window interiors with backlit film

PixelMagic

Last weekend I did some artwork of the TOS and JJprise corridors in Photoshop to put behind my model's windows so it wasn't just a white void. I wanted to get the sense of something in there.

Kk1vF0y.jpg

ty4PdnO.jpg

First I had simply gone to FedEx Office and had them print my window patterns on transparency.

Today, I used Inkpress Backlight Film. This stuff works much better in that it lets light pass through, but it diffuses it. Also, FedEx Office can only print on laser jet printers, which doesn't work with graphics very well. My Inkjet printer made the graphics much sharper and richer. I absolutely love how this is looking now.

mLnxh4l.jpg

9GGj0MK.jpg

mRJJ0B3.jpg

zqUn6hQ.jpg

iBC1ww3.jpg

bYS7JjP.jpg

Thought you guys might like this too. I was able to get bridge consoles and control panels printed onto slide film. These will look much better backlit than decals would. The color is vibrant and rich.

WPbrMoj.jpg

Yeah ;D this is very awesome .

What route did you go to obtain those slides ?

BTW , your Inkpress link don't work

urumomo said:
Yeah ;D this is very awesome .

What route did you go to obtain those slides ?

BTW , your Inkpress link don't work

I made up the artwork in high resolution so that it could be printed on a 35 mm slide and have sufficient detail at such a small size. Then I sent a PDF file of that artwork to Express Slides who imaged my artwork onto the slides with a film recorder. Both were free as you get 2 free samples for your first order.

Zehr Nize . Eager to see it installed .

I had thought about something along these lines for some Ma.K stuff .
The monitor in the cockpit of the Camel ( Giraffe ) in particular ,, but I had not explored it any further .
I've never printed my own decals either , but it's something that will happen soon enough .

Thanks for all the info -
Again , I'm looking forward to your install . The ship windows really rock ! ,, I think you could do layering to get even more depth of field .

Cheers !

Exceptional detail work! Man, I love this kind of brilliant way to add additional realism- great job!

Gotta say though, you should add some crew in those scenes too- maybe some gags too, like Nomad or the Salt Monster menacing the crew....with Kirk and Spock running downa hallway to help, naturally!

I bet you could pull this trick off with the Galaxy class- you could make 10-Forward!

Nice technique here. I think I remember hearing or reading about something similar being done with Voyager for the studio model...

Hagoth said:
Nice technique here. I think I remember hearing or reading about something similar being done with Voyager for the studio model...

Yep, That's where I got the idea.

Latest posts

Back