Making small windows

tromboneman77

Hi guys,
I was taking a look at one of my future builds of a PB4Y-2 and I noticed that I was going to have to put some small windows in that are flush with the fuselage. The kit does provide clear parts but to get them into a hole that I’m going to have to cut out myself might be a tricky thing to do. So I started thinking about different ways to get the job done. I was watching Grendels build his shuttle and saw how he was making windows. I asked him about it and he passed on the info he had to me. So with that I went out to try to make a window and I think it came out quite nice. I used microscale micro kristal klear diluted down with just a touch of water (the water had one drop of dish soap added). Maybe most of you guys already know how to do this but, here’s how I did it.
1. Dilute the kristal klear. I did this by dipping a tooth pick in the water and mixing that with the kristal klear a few times.
2. Line the edges of the window with kristal klear.
3. Dip the tooth pick in the diluted Kristal klear so it’s coated the length you need for the window
4. Hold the tooth pick against the window and pull across so you get a film to form (or a bubble)
5. Let it dry.
I made a test window out of scrap styrene and here is what I got. I think it looks pretty good. If you look really close it’s not perfectly smooth but you can see through it.

Window 1- while the glue is drying
Window 2- looking through the window
Window 3- looking right at the window

Check out How to Build WW 2 Aircraft part 6 from plasticfenatic08 on youtube for a quick clip on how to do this. It’s around the 3:00 mark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back