Making Weighted Wheels

shepherd

So I've searched the world wide web a couple of times for this but never found any results only third party weighted wheel sets, which either don't cover the wheel I need/want, I don't want to wait for it or I don't want to pay for it etc etc.

So recently I've tried a number of ways to achieve this including:
Heating the part directly - DONT DO THIS! it will melt!
Heating a surface and pressing the part against it - ...this will also melt it!
Hot water - no joy on tires, works on plastic parts to make them more mouldable though...
Hair dryer - no luck in the time I gave it...

And then thought of this solution and thought I'd share it as it may be helpful...
(if there is any other way also feel free to let me know :p)

Some steps I don't have images for but will try to explain.

Firstly give the tire a clean - just a simple all over wipe with some dry tissue should do here.

Next give the inside of the tire a sanding (I used 1200 grit cause it was nearby but this shouldn't matter too much).
(I did try without sanding and whether it was coincidence or not it just didn't hold)

Then make the flat surface we will use to create the weight.
I used some finished sprue tree off cuts:
11133349525_36a0840508_h.jpg

They seemed strong enough to hold the resistance of he tyre's rubber - so I used 'em
Cut to length and glue those to some plasticard
The length/width you choose here will depend on how 'flat' or 'weighted' you want your tyres to look:
11133319615_c2776ab842_b.jpg
11133388524_d7d933a526_b.jpg

Let it dry for a minute and then put it into the tyre:
This part was a bit fiddly and I tried a number of ways here.
NOTE: Using only super glue wasn't holding for whatever reason but adding some cement to the bottom of the plasticard and putting superglue inside the bottom of the tire held really well (is this a valid chemical reaction?!)

So once you've glued and inserted - you're going to have to hold this here for about a minute or until you're satisfied the superglue has dried.
I did try holding against a flat surface
But I found just using my fingers was better as a I could feel whether the parts had taken hold
11133507353_2d2446c43e_b.jpg

Then pop in the rim and behold your creation.
(the on on the right is untouched)
11133410064_d87b236dcc_b.jpg
11133814023_df1841bf29_b.jpg

Obviously the more 'extreme' your weight the little more work you'll have to do with regards to keeping the inner of the tyre attached to it's rim.

hope this has been helpful, also stop me if this is just crazy and there is a much easier way!

Thanks for looking.

Interesting trick, thanks for that.
I was always worried about the wax paper and iron technique I hear others using

Used this method as I built these tonight, with just the brass rod, about 10mm in length.

Drop of CA inside the tire well, added the rod, held it in place, then sprayed the area with high speed activator.
Took a few tries with different rod thicknesses, but I'm very happy with the results.

11201036316_7cef6b3489_o.jpg

That's a great technique, gonna half to try it. I bolt/squashed with washer before. It worked too but this looks easier and you don't have a bolt head to hide in groundwork.

Latest posts

Back