LVTP-A1 by Tamiya 1/35 (Winter Camo)

Fork Virus

Zup addicts!

I just built and painted a LVTP in winter camo. What I wanted to do is update it with a new turret and dress it up in desert scheme. I don't have the patience to build a LVTP turret and to buy one cost $20.00 on ebay. Instead I used the money to buy a cyber-hobby 1/35 Israeli super Sherman.

Before I take the next step of weathering, I need to correct the black camo spots, there a bit off, not lining up to the flat green. I was using the silly putty technique, which was fun to do. The under painting was olive drab, then painted coat of flat green. Then I used a mixture of flat blue and flat gull gray for the other scheme, then top off with a bit of flat white.

I had to paint the windows on the driver and command turrets. Not the 50 cal. turret, I may have to put styrene plastic panels and paint blue over them.

Here are some pic's, what do you guys think? If your curious, on the upper left is a LAV build.
DSC02738.jpg
DSC02741.jpg
DSC02749.jpg
DSC02767.jpg
DSC02771.jpg
DSC02769.jpg

Re: LVTP-A1 by Tamiya 1/35 (Winter Camo) Quick Update!

Thanx Spud and Texaslobo! ;D
UPDATE: This time I brush in flat black on the outlines of the flat green, it looks proper now. I like the look of this piece of marine machine, it like a cute hippo!
DSC02777.jpg
DSC02778.jpg
DSC02781.jpg

I'm done...for now. The last step was the weathering. My clear coat was micro gloss. I did a dirty pass of black pastels mixed with water spread across the LVTP. I used a mixture of black oil paints and thinner for the panel lines. Muddied up the tracks and lower parts of the body with a bunch of earth tone like colors.

DSC02834.jpg
DSC02836.jpg
DSC02840.jpg
DSC02846.jpg

nice weathering... looks realistic. although that black on the camo makes it look nice, but i've never seen that camo before ???. correct me if i'm wrong ;). i haven't seen much camo at all ::)

ahmed malik said:
nice weathering... looks realistic. although that black on the camo makes it look nice, but i've never seen that camo before ???. correct me if i'm wrong ;). i haven't seen much camo at all ::)

Thanx ahmed! Doing my research, I mostly see LVTP or it's cousins in desert, olive drab or wood land scheme.
My only reference for winter camo are the black and white instruction sheet that came with the kit. I thought it was pretty cool and rare to see the winter camo.

Thank you everyone for the incouraging comments! Tamiya kits are fun to building and they don't seem over engineered. Really enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back