Looking for a Kingfisher kit and have some questions

Ya that's crazy.. they just decommissioned a nuclear power plant by me an old tritium plant oyster creek I forgot how long it took them but they had a whole decommissioning schedule to turn it off take the fuel out and off site and decontaminate and break down the reactor build ect.. I don't think it was as long or as costly as the Enterprise they shoulda sold it to another country or something saved us some money I here Russia needs a carrier since they destroyed the one they stole from the Ukraine

Tritium ?
Pretty sure that was a conventional boiling water reactor running on low enrichment uranium . They do create small amounts of the stuff but that one wasn't configured to be a breeder reactor .
We should have waaaaay more nuke power plants .
ya know , Chernobyl happened when I was in nuke school down in Florida in '86 .
Our curriculum detoured into more detail about graphite moderators because of it . Bonus !

Now the Navy's priority is fielding strike aircraft with longer legs since China's missile defense envelope is so expansive the carriers can't get close enough for the F-18's and F-35's to make it in .
Shouldn't have retired the F-14 ! Should have gone forward with the Super Tomcat .

Tritium ?
Pretty sure that was a conventional boiling water reactor running on low enrichment uranium . They do create small amounts of the stuff but that one wasn't configured to be a breeder reactor .
Our curriculum detoured into more detail about graphite moderators because of it . Bonus !

Now the Navy's priority is fielding strike aircraft with longer legs since China's missile defense envelope is so expansive the carriers can't get close enough for the F-18's and F-35's to make it in .
Shouldn't have retired the F-14 ! Should have gone forward with the Super Tomcat .
Maybe tritium was a bi product? I just remember I went to a job interview there for Nuclear Security Forces position and they mention the reactor was different from the public's standard view of nuclear plants no big ass cooling tower and the main nuclear elements being produced in there reaction was tritium the stuff they use in weapon scopes and other things.

I never got the job I got hired and then they down sized the plants personel and went on a hiring freeze one of the big things was them getting all the nuclear material off site to New Mexico or at least that was what the local civilian population wanted the company wanted to build casks on site cause the property was never going to be public land

Tritium ?

You know what happened to the F14s right?

Oh , I guess I could have googled Oyster Creek :D

Yes , I know all about the F-14 and her retirement ,

Behold , my ship's flight deck populated with Real fighter jets :

KvkF9tZ.jpg

You ever watch Ward Carroll ?
he was an F-14 RIO .
Good vid from him :

Oh , I guess I could have googled Oyster Creek :D

Yes , I know all about the F-14 and her retirement ,

Behold , my ship's flight deck populated with Real fighter jets :

View attachment 93930

You ever watch Ward Carroll ?
he was an F-14 RIO .
Good vid from him :

Ill check out that video in my spare time when I can afford it Im alittle bit of an AV geek I just finished my private pilot license but flying is expensive. So I have the VA footing alot of the bill.

here is a good video suming up alot of the main issues with thos LCS ships there's a few more detailed explanations and articles about them out there.

The F14 was awesome until we sold some to Iran and trashed all the spare parts so there are very few still working and flying examples left. I heard though that they were in the end also very expensive to keep operational but still the most bad ass fighter jet ever designed in my opinion

lol , the Iranians are still flying the F-14
Those were purchased by them way back in 1974 .
The US flew it until 2006 .

Definitely watch that Ward Carroll video , he covers the entire history of the plane and what would have been the Super Tomcat that we really need now .

lol , the Iranians are still flying the F-14
Those were purchased by them way back in 1974 .
The US flew it until 2006 .

Definitely watch that Ward Carroll video , he covers the entire history of the plane and what would have been the Super Tomcat that we really need now .
Ya after we stopped using the F-14 there was concern about Iran and in order to prevent them from being able to maintain their aircraft our government put in place policies that prevented the sale of parts of the F-14 and destroyed and scrapped alot of the aircraft in mothball as well as part reserves, there's a podcast called The F14 tomcast and fighter pilot podcast were they go over the whole situation in more depth I'm sure there's a lot more to it but as for why you don't see them still flying around today as like museum planes or airshow aircraft has a lot Todo with the lack of replacement parts. I probably should have specified I wasn't meaning why the US Navy or military no longer uses them.

Aircraft require the replacement of parts based on flight hours so each part of the plane including the actual structural components have a clock ticking down from the time of installation that moves more quickly based on flight hours. At the end the parts are either replaced rebuilt or inspected and repaired but when you don't have replacements and there isn't any manufacturers still building the parts your over all aircraft life expectancy could be the next flight.

Iran I imagine has to have reverse engineered the aircraft to find ways to make parts and keep them flying. Maybe china I hear they love to do that kinda stuff lol.

As for the rest I'm gonna have to watch the video you suggested cause now I'm curious

Latest posts

Back