Lindberg 1/48 ME-262

sorien

I can tell you this site as rekindled my love of modeling, so for the first time in a long time I decided to do a normal model. Plus I want to do more stuff with my airbrush ;)

I was roaming around my local HobbytownUSA today looking for something interesting. I was really thinking about a M51 or other Israeli sherman refit version but the only one they had was $35 and I just didn't have it.

I found this Lindberg ME-262 for $15. The ME-262 has always been fascinating to me not only for what it is but what it could have meant to the war if it hadn't been used incorrectly at first.

I already have a nice german blue-gray color I will be using for the primary color, and I'll find a light blue-gray for the bottom. I'm not looking for accuracy as much as using this model for experimenting.

The box is a kinda cool flip top, and the decals seem to have yellowed somewhat. There is a bit of flashing but nothing compared to what I'm use to with GW models.

I will be making it with the wheels up and on a flight stand.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cool. Great to hear your inspired!

I think it's a great idea to buy and kit and just build it. Try not to get too bogged down in the nitty gritty. I do sometimes and I just have to snap out of it and have fun.

Thanks Scott.

I started in, mostly cleaning flashing, while I was between steps on other projects. It turns out the kit has a bunch of stuff that moves: doors on the engines, gun access and the landing gear is meant to be retractable.

kinda puts me in a quandary from my original plan. Sounds like fun to have the gear working but I still like the idea of putting on a flying stand.

Then put it on a flying stand, Sorien.
The instructions may call of the gear to work, but nothing says they HAVE to work.

In and among my other projects (spent 10 hours today painting Death Company) I finally got it assembled. This kit was not fun to work with. There wasn't much flashing, but what flashing there was, was in the worst places to try and clean out. It was also a bear to get the main pieces glued while holding the moving parts in place. To top it off, the part under the cockpit between the wings was molded very poorly, shifted to one side. The cockpit is basically non-existent with nothing but a seat and a small instrument panel. I'm going to magnetize it to a GW flying stand, but still left everything working. I also should have weighted the nose.

All the moving parts are really cool, with access to the guns, engines, retractable landing gear and the rudder moves as does the ailerons. Even the cockpit is suppose to be hinged but we'll see if it's doable after it's all painted.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back