Klear questions

yea use teh klear before and after for teh decals.

and also im not a lover of teh vellajo varnish they seem miliky to me

Matt ,

Not really sure why you need to mix up pots of Klear ? If you are just sealing paint for the weathereing stages all you need to do is ...paint ..then coat with Klear ,then Decals ,Klear over the decals ...then do your weathering .The proccess will dull any shine ,but if needed then finish with a mat coat .....simples :)

Chris.

wyoroy said:
Grendels said:
spud said:
no mix ratio when ya want to seal it, just put a drop in teh ab and shoot cleam with water or diluted ab cleaner either works.

as for mat and semi gloss use tamia Xf-21 flat base

pulled from ye'ol google

Tamiya XF-21 "Flat Base" is NOT intended to be used as a paint! I've seen numerous posts on forums where someone has used it alone and gotten nothing but a white, chalky finish for their efforts. This result is not surprising since XF-21 is not a clear flat finish.

XF-21 is a Flat BASE. It's intended use is to be mixed with glossy paints to give them a flat finish. It was never intended to be sprayed alone, and must be mixed with something or it will make a mess out of a paint job. I use it a lot with Future Floor Polish (see the section above) to give it a flat finish. For a completely dead-flat finish mix about 4 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. For a semi-gloss or "Satin" finish mix about 6 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. As always you should try this on some scrap to determine the ratio that works best for you

hope this helps ya

I once bought some flat base and didn't know what it was. Shot it through the air brush thinned like any other Tamiya paint. Made one frosted white model. I did get her fixed right up later, but it was a learning experience!

How did you fix your's? I did that once and sprayed a coat of Future, good as new. I just clean mine with Windex. Will even stripe Future if you need to.

The model was suppose to be flat black, so I just painted black over it, worked out fine, and gave me a nice flat black to work with....

FUBAR ,

Another alternative to th Klear/Future .... I've started shootin' the AlClad Aqua Gloss Klear , it's acrylic base but Soooo much thinner than Future ... I mean Super Thin all you have to do is Mist it on @ 15 psi & I mean mist it on ..... I've personally found that Future is a lil' bit too thick fro My taste .... Options .. just given you options .... ;D

Alcald also has a lacquer Gloss Klear kote ALC 310 that's fantastic. In fact all the Alclad stuff is great ;D

Re intermediate coats, use Klear straight from the bottle.
You only need to flat your final coat if you want a satin or matte finish.
I have a jar of matte Klear in my man cave I mixed oooooh, 8 months ago with Tamiya flat base, give it a good shake and it's good to go.
One cautionary note with flat base, mix it well, I mean, stir it, shake it till you think its done then do it again for another 3 minutes, if it's not thoroughly mixed you'll get cloudy blotches, it's not an ideal solution, i'd personally recommend you use straight Klear and get a satin and a matter top coat varnish.

Ratios however if you want to go that route, use a syringe, be accurate.
10% flat base = Semi gloss
20% = Satin
30% = Flat

Don't go greater than 30, you'll get the white coudy thing.

These are ratios I found through googling then trial and error, they work for me, I use little medicine cups and a small syringe to decant the flat base to ensure the ratios are correct.

For applying, AB is OK but with it being so thin and watery i found it easy to get runs, easiest and quickest method and the one I use all the time now, is, wide flat brush and brush the whole model quickly top to bottom, Klear is so thin it self levels you can't get brush marks, make a mess just brush over with Klear again, it dissolves in itself.
Alternatively, if you have a container large enough you can dip the whole model, let it drip then sit under cover with some kitchen towel to wick away the excess.

Latest posts

Back