Klear questions

fubar

I'm just gonna start trying using Klear to seal layers instead of varnish but i just wanted to know what sort of ratios you guys mix it in and with what. I heard that depending on ratio you can get a matt/satin/gloss type finish, is that true?

Most if not all the tutorials i've found have been for future which is the same sort of product but from the US i believe and its slightly different to the Klear i have from the store. Also am i correct in saying you just clean it out of your airbrush with ordinary windowleane?

TTFN Matt

Frankly I'd stick with actual paint.

Ammonia based cleaners like window cleaners can be used to clean up and strip.

Don't tint it using food coloring. It is not permanent and will fade. Use Tamiya clears for tinting.

Good point SS. To take that even further. when tinted it tends to build up in recesses and corners and makes for an uneven tint in my experience.

I've heard it is best to apply many thin coats for tinting so that it is even. I've only used Tamiya paint straight up to tint and only small surfaces; not a whole canopy yet.

no mix ratio when ya want to seal it, just put a drop in teh ab and shoot cleam with water or diluted ab cleaner either works.

as for mat and semi gloss use tamia Xf-21 flat base

pulled from ye'ol google

Tamiya XF-21 "Flat Base" is NOT intended to be used as a paint! I've seen numerous posts on forums where someone has used it alone and gotten nothing but a white, chalky finish for their efforts. This result is not surprising since XF-21 is not a clear flat finish.

XF-21 is a Flat BASE. It's intended use is to be mixed with glossy paints to give them a flat finish. It was never intended to be sprayed alone, and must be mixed with something or it will make a mess out of a paint job. I use it a lot with Future Floor Polish (see the section above) to give it a flat finish. For a completely dead-flat finish mix about 4 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. For a semi-gloss or "Satin" finish mix about 6 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. As always you should try this on some scrap to determine the ratio that works best for you

hope this helps ya

Many thanks guys, i have to say if theres one thing with modelling that makes this ol' head spin its this whole future/klear business. I seen so many diff posts and websites that state different ways to use it, also theres the whole 'USA future is different to UK klear' debate as well.

And dont worry about tinting canopys, think i'm a LONG way from anything like that yet. lol

Regards Matt

I tint future(with green and yellow) to give that greenish anodized look over automotive carburetors and master cylinders ... works great over an aluminum base .
I have also tinted it(red or red and yellow) to create turn signals and brake lights ..again over an aluminum base ... ,, no fading problems so far.. In fact, I have had people ask me how I got that finish and transparency. It usually take 2-3 coats to get that killer glass-like look

ofcourse I may find out that over time it degrades .. but .. so far I really like the results ... did a video about it on youtube and turned a few other onto it as well.

I take what the "internet" says with a grain of salt ... I will try things regardless ... sometimes what I read is what happens ,, but surprisingly often I get much different results.

as most people here know( a lot of very good modelers) ...talk is cheap ... proof is in the pudding

Food coloring will fade, especially when exposed to light. You can test this by putting a food coloring tinted part in the sunlight or direct UV light for a couple of days.

You can use Tamiya clear paints to tint Future into any shade or color you want and it won't fade. I just use Tamiya clear paints without the Future either unthinned for lenses or thinned and airbrushed in many thin coats for canopies.

thanks for the tip bro .. I don't use many Tamiya paint products but I have the modelmaster acrylic transparent's .. they should work the same both being acrylics, I'll give it a try next chance

Matt ,

Im assuming its 'Johnsons Klear ' ...or Pledge that you've got ,if so ,Like Spud says if you're only sealing up between coats just put it straight through the AB ..no thinning needed ,and when finished you only need water to wash the AB out ....Klear is a 'True' Acrylic ;)

Chris.

spud said:
no mix ratio when ya want to seal it, just put a drop in teh ab and shoot cleam with water or diluted ab cleaner either works.

pulled from ye'ol google

Tamiya XF-21 "Flat Base" is NOT intended to be used as a paint! I've seen numerous posts on forums where someone has used it alone and gotten nothing but a white, chalky finish for their efforts. This result is not surprising since XF-21 is not a clear flat finish.

XF-21 is a Flat BASE. It's intended use is to be mixed with glossy paints to give them a flat finish. It was never intended to be sprayed alone, and must be mixed with something or it will make a mess out of a paint job. I use it a lot with Future Floor Polish (see the section above) to give it a flat finish. For a completely dead-flat finish mix about 4 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. For a semi-gloss or "Satin" finish mix about 6 parts Future to 1 part XF-21. As always you should try this on some scrap to determine the ratio that works best for you

hope this helps ya

I once bought some flat base and didn't know what it was. Shot it through the air brush thinned like any other Tamiya paint. Made one frosted white model. I did get her fixed right up later, but it was a learning experience!

If i were to mix up a few small pots of klear in say a satin ratio how long could i keep them like that in the pots before it goes 'odd'? lol

Grendels said:
spud said:

pulled from ye'ol google

hope this helps ya

I once bought some flat base and didn't know what it was. Shot it through the air brush thinned like any other Tamiya paint. Made one frosted white model. I did get her fixed right up later, but it was a learning experience!

How did you fix your's? I did that once and sprayed a coat of Future, good as new. I just clean mine with Windex. Will even stripe Future if you need to.

Yeah i ordered some Vallejo Air matt/gloss/satin but as so many seem to use klear just thought i'd ask lol

Latest posts

Back