Jagdtiger Early 1:35

Alex Benvenuti

Hi everyone!

So, here's my latest model, a Jagdtiger Early. It's the "old" Tamiya kit but it was great fun building it ootb. Since most of the aftermarket is hard to get without wandering on the internet, it was easier for me to keep it simple...
I've had the opportunity once or twice to use Friulmodel tracks, which are absolutely wonderful, but as I couldn't get a hold of them, I used the plastic tracks from the box and that was the most terrible thing ever for me... But you'll see this!

I've decided to use one of my fellow modellers' idea, Jose Luis Lopez Ruiz, whom I met in Saumur. It was my very first contest and Jose Luis was exposing a very interesting idea. Starting the weathering process before the first basecoat, a technique often used in figure painting.

So off I went...

JT+Build+%25281%2529.jpg
The weld lines were way too thick (it was a first try for me as well) so I flattened them a bit, but I'll do better next time!

JT+B%2526W+wash.jpg
I then airbrushed black and white and made the first streaks.

Jagdtiger+Chips.jpg
With a brush and acrylic paints, I painted the first chips and damages. I also created some modulation on the most exposed items.

Jagdtiger+Color+Chipping.jpg
Then the basecoat started. I can't say how I thinned the paint with Lacquer Thinner, but that was a lot... I had to apply many many layers. At this point I cheated a bit, adding more Buff to the paint for the highest parts. I also had to use some Translucent Yellow to give the model some liveliness (so to say).

JagdtigerOPR_01.jpg
I then used several oil paints to bring the model to life, adding some streaks with paint and enamel colors.

Jagdtiger+OPR2+%25285%2529.jpg
The dust process could timidly start, but I also added a mud color to show the missing fenders on the sides.

Jagdtiger+Mud+%25281%2529.jpg
Then pigments got heavier and heavier adding a damp atmosphere to the Jagdtiger.

Jagdtiger+Stains.jpg
Dust and oil/gas leaks found their home on the model.

Now the model is complete with its tracks and wet effects (using Klir)
Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25284%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25281%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25283%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25282%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25286%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25289%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25287%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25288%2529.jpg

Jagdtiger+Finished+Small+%25285%2529.jpg

Well, the tracks were a real pain, but I managed to fix them correctly (I noticed they were wrong on one photo)
To bring more life to the model, I also decided to add a Russian helmet and some rusty tracks.

I had great fun experimenting this technique, really! It showed me a totally new dimension and forced me to think more in terms of volume and to be more careful about details. The model was a bit long to paint, but as far as my level allows me to go for the moment, I'm quite satisfied. Of course, there's still a lot more to learn and I trust you'll show me the way! :)

Alex!

Hey Alex nice to see you on here.

Awesome job on the Jagdtiger

What a work :eek:
I have to try this technic: Starting the weathering process before the first basecoat.

Thanks, Mfun!
You've got to try it! But it takes time! Maybe the weathering went "too far" on the initial white and black, but mainly for the lowest parts, I guess! :)
Thank you!

The results speak for themselves Alex, very nice job building up the layers to produce the final result.

I've got to study these pics- excellent results, excellent work!

Cheers-
chuk

Latest posts

Back