Italeri WC-54 Ambulance

Big-John

Any one up for an old classic build? Besides, it’s olive drab………… ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just ordered a PE set for it to liven this tired old kit up!

BoxphotoWC54_zps3eb24147.jpg

Hold on John get yer Glasses because that's not a Sherman..

This looks like such a great build, if this helps you out any I have a similar Dodge powerwagon, while not a ambulance if nothing else the front clip body panels will weather the same. I have thrown a couple images up for some inspiration. Most of the metal painted black should be ignored on your model Most of that was added in our trucks earlier life as a forest fire engine and would not be applicable to your model. Sadly, I don't have any reference for the original engine and transmission anymore. We swapped a small block Chevy V8 in 25 years ago.

I'm in BJ!!! Nice pics of the real things!! Grabbing some popcorn!! ;)

Thanks fellas! The kit doesn't have a very high parts count, but will need a lot of clean up. Plus I'm not doing anything untill I get the PE set in my hands,

Hey Jeep, nice pictures of that truck. Pretty neat that you shoe horned a SBC down in there!

To get off topic a little, it actually dropped in with out much surgery. It is a Chevy 307 bolted to a advance adapters conversion engine mount meant to put a SBC in a full size jeep cherokee/wagoner. This bolted to the dodge frame rails into pre threaded bolt holes. We needed to use a Corvette Ram horn manifold to clear the steering box. We retained the TH350 automatic transmission this ran to a drive shaft to the factory divorce transfer case in its factory location. the T62 verlinden kit was tougher than this and reversible. Now to get back on topic, I might be able to find a dodge ambulance locally, I'll keep a eye out and if I find one I'll upload some images for reference for you. Anyway I am looking forward to watching this build.

Thanks Jeep,

No need to go out of your way to get images of one locally, I have found plenty on the web. I’m not going to go to hog wild on detailing this, other than what comes in the PE set. I’m more for painting and weathering.

The one question I do have that I haven’t confirmed yet is interior colors. I don’t know if it was white or olive drab. I would think the drivers compartment was olive drab.

John

does not matter to much but ours had a white headliner, but its a 1967 so it does not apply.

There are some retire guys in my model club here in Wyoming that have a few restored WW2 ambulances. We have our next club meeting the 12 of Feb, would you want me to get some information/pictures of the vehicles?

Jeep and Roy,

If you get some pics or information, that would be great, but i'm not asking you to go out of your way. I'll do more digging on the web.

Dont know yet how much i'll be doing. I have a couple of diferent configurations playing around in my head.

Thanks guys!

It's not out of my way. I'll email those guys tonight and see what they can provide. You never know when I may need something ;D

Last time I was up to Coleman's surplus there were three (Coleman's is a military surplus SALVAGE yard) That was a couple of years ago. But I was planning to visti ther before the snakes are out, I'll see what I can see.

Well, here are a couple of pics from the progress thus far. I recently got a bug PE tool from The Small Shop and figured it was time to get serious about PE. I’m still in the process of filling large sink holes in the seats, so that lumpy putty will get sanded down.

Lots of clean up work on this old fellow. I’m getting to a point where I’m going to dry fit the body together so I can plan out how I’m going to paint the interior.

IMG_1187_zps6f084794.jpg

IMG_1185_zps2ef9c045.jpg

IMG_1188_zps6c235205.jpg

:) Howdy uncle John ? :D

You´ve picked a really sexy truck man, lots of character there...

Whatever you choose to do with it, we´ll end having a good model around, uncle John,

Cheers, man
RG ;)

Latest posts

Back