Italeri Acrylic Paints ?????

hooterville75

Has anyone tried the new Italeri Acrylic paints yet ? Just wondering how they are and what the price is for them where you purchased them.

Not sure of the price as I haven't looked at them that closely.

However what I do know about them is that they are manufactured for Italeri by Vallejo.

Now that being said, I don't know if they are the same Vallejo paints just re-bottled for Italeri, or if they are a different formula from the Vallejo paints.

Vallejo being a paint manufacturer (as opposed to a model manufacturer also producing their own paint line) I would imagine they manufacture paints for may clients over and above what they produce in their own lines, and I would venture a guess that the formulas for the paint aren't exact to their own paint. As far as how that affects their quality, I have no idea.

Is interested to see them on a model. Flory models has ordered some but had to order them from I believe Hong Kong or somewhere far away ha ha. I don't know if there even available in the USA yet.

MMD/Squadron has them, about $4.50 for a 20ml bottle. Only slightly larger than a Vallejo bottle and about $1 to $1.50 more per bottle vs the cost of Vallejo paint.

Think I will skip them, as all the colors are readily available in the Vallejo line already.

The way Flory models explained them, they are a 20 ml bottle BUT thinned 50/50 you get 40 ml of paint. Vallejo is already thinned and you get 17 ml of paint. One main reason I was interested in seeing how they worked. That's a lot of paint per bottle and the color line is very covered for all genres. Im kind of a old fashioned if its not broke don't fix it but hey 40 ml of paint per bottle caught my eye.,

hooterville75 said:
The way Flory models explained them, they are a 20 ml bottle BUT thinned 50/50 you get 40 ml of paint. Vallejo is already thinned and you get 17 ml of paint. One main reason I was interested in seeing how they worked. That's a lot of paint per bottle and the color line is very covered for all genres. Im kind of a old fashioned if its not broke don't fix it but hey 40 ml of paint per bottle caught my eye.,

That is not entirely true. He is comparing them to Vallejo Air, which yes, is pre-thinned so only 17ml, but is it fair to compare a the paint volume of a brand you have to thin, and thus get more paint, with one that you don't have to thin?

A fairer comparison would be to compare the Italeri paint to Vallejo Model color which also has to be thinned for airbrushing. Good thinning ratio for Vallejo Model color is 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint, so in that respect you would end up with 51ml of thinned paint for airbrushing, again more paint, less money.

He even mentioned in the video about Vallejo model color can be thinned for airbrushing but is more involved in doing so, but since he hasn't used it in sometime, he is probably referring to Vallejo's old thinner which did have a much steeper learning curve to thin the paints out to airbrush them, however with their new thinner, it takes all the guess work out of it. 2 parts thinner, 1 part paint and Bob's your uncle.

Wow super nice. Thanks for that comparison. Never thought of the Model Color line. I really like that idea. All I know is Im on the market for a new ACRYLIC paint. I hate thinning but just like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. So perhaps I may try the Vallejo Model Color line and see what happens. When I did the spoon test with the Apple Barrel paint the other week. I thinned it by eye and it worked fairly decent making me happy with the end result. Test, test, experiment etc. Your comparison with the Model Color line actually is cheaper then the Italeri new line. Very interesting topic. Glad I started the thread for opinions. Thanks again.

Another question about Vallejo. Have you ever experimented with the Model Air or Color line in a dehydrator ? If so how long do they take to dry in a dehydrator, what temp etc ???

No, I don't use a dehydrator. Vallejo is dry to the touch in about 10min, and cured in 24hrs, so I don't really see the need for one.

Enamels and Lacquers are the benefactors when using a dehydrator.

you ant go wrong with Vallejo, you have shag all waste with teh dropper bottles compared to other brands and its easier to get the mixes right with 1 drop of this and 1 drop of that and 2 drops of thinner and so on

Latest posts

Back