Improving Hand painting skills

SpearHead

Hello everybody,

Getting back into the game after a good long while and was looking to increase my skill and knowledge of hand painting. When i was a wee lad the paint jobs on my models always looked splotchy, you could tell that it was painted by hand and could almost see the marks left behind in the paint by the brush. I never really thought much about it back then and thought thats just the way it is.

I was hoping some of the more experience builders would able to give insight on thinners, technique, and brushes in order to get a smoother effect.

Specifically what proportions of thinner to paint you find to give you the best results. Tamiya acrylics are what i probably will be using.

Thanks for the help

Thanks

SpearHead said:
Hello everybody,

Getting back into the game after a good long while and was looking to increase my skill and knowledge of hand painting. When i was a wee lad the paint jobs on my models always looked splotchy, you could tell that it was painted by hand and could almost see the marks left behind in the paint by the brush. I never really thought much about it back then and thought thats just the way it is.

I was hoping some of the more experience builders would able to give insight on thinners, technique, and brushes in order to get a smoother effect.

Specifically what proportions of thinner to paint you find to give you the best results. Tamiya acrylics are what i probably will be using.

Thanks for the help

Thanks

Ummm, so hard to say. I usually do a mix on my tamiya's with like a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio. It's to the point that I need to cover it a couple of times and I find that keeps any brush lines and "splotchiness" away. I thin with 91% alcohol.

DKs ratios sound just about what I used the last time I brush painted Tamiya. Only tip I'll ad is to go just a little thicker than you think you should: the paint will "shrink" and level just a little as it cures. Plan to do at least a 2nd coat brushing perpendicular to the first.

Shameless plug: consider if you can Vallejo. Hands down the "easiest" acrylic paint to brush paint with IMO in terms of getting a smooth finish free of brush strokes.

One thing I do; is keep some small amount of clear thinner near by, but not mixed into the paint. I use a cheap (inexpensive) dollar store water colour pallet for this. Mine has 10 or so depressions running around the outside edge. I use one depression for my paint, another one for my clear thinner. I pre-dip / moisten my brush in the thinner before it ever touches the paint. Then I will dip or roll it in the thinner as required if I notice the brush is getting gummy. I also transfer some of the thinner to the paint depression if I notice it is starting to skin over.

Some other tips, that I found help me.

Try when ever possible to paint your brush strokes in the same direction.
Don't try to put all of your colour on at once (use multiple coats after everything is dry)
Don't dip your bruch too deep in the paint (only about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the brush bristles)
Make your self a brush cleaning can like this one;

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,500.0.html

Oh and, Vallejo is really good brush paint - just started using it myself and really like it.

JMac said:
One thing I do; is keep some small amount of clear thinner near by, but not mixed into the paint. I use a cheap (inexpensive) dollar store water colour pallet for this. Mine has 10 or so depressions running around the outside edge. I use one depression for my paint, another one for my clear thinner. I pre-dip / moisten my brush in the thinner before it ever touches the paint. Then I will dip or roll it in the thinner as required if I notice the brush is getting gummy. I also transfer some of the thinner to the paint depression if I notice it is starting to skin over.

Some other tips, that I found help me.

Try when ever possible to paint your brush strokes in the same direction.
Don't try to put all of your colour on at once (use multiple coats after everything is dry)
Don't dip your bruch too deep in the paint (only about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the brush bristles)
Make your self a brush cleaning can like this one;

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,500.0.html

Oh and, Vallejo is really good brush paint - just started using it myself and really like it.

When using this method, do you use actual thinner or alcohol as you are working. Or is there really much difference between them.

going back to the ratios,

I am assuming 1:2 means 1 part paint / two parts thinner

Just making sure i get the ratios right.

Thanks for help, that thinner jar looks like it can save someone lots of cash.

For the Tamiya acrylics I use IPA or Tamiya X-20A thinner. For the Vallejo I've been using distilled water or Vallejo 061 thinner.

Greetings,

I struggled with this myself for years but no more. I read about and tried Vallejo Model Color acrylics. They brush great with little effort. Prime first. When you brush, just make sure you use a good brush ad keep the brush wet when you apply the paint. You kind of flow the paint on. If for some reason it doesn't cover in one coat, let the first dry and apply a second. I guarantee that you wont be disappointed. The best place to buy them is on Warweb. They have the best prices.

I have also used MM acrylics for years with hit or miss success. I started using the Vallejo Model Air and that is gonna be my go to paint from now on. It comes in eye dropper bottles and you spray right from the bottle.

Actually I have not been disappointed in any of their products. I am now using their primer which comes in white, black and grey. Their airbrush cleaner is great too. With all my bragging you might think a work for Vallejo but I am just happy that after years of modeling and not having much luck with acrylics I found the answer.

cbreeze

Thin your paint, especially gamesworkshop of P3, which brush nice.

Latest posts

Back