Howdy From Western Colorado

MystRacing

Just thought I'd say High and check in. This is my first post so I have to do one thing I've always wanted to do.

This is my first model.

IMG_4456%20%281280x876%29-L.jpg

IMG_4457%20%281280x794%29-L.jpg

I'm just kidding about that being my first model. I build a lot of different things, did N-scale trains 1:160 scale for a long time here's a 2 square foot layout with scratch build gravel equipment.

UG106-L.jpg

Mostly I've been doing wooden model ships the last couple years,

fin002-L.jpg

Was looking to take a break and work on my plastic skills so I signed up here. Hoping to learn more particularly in the photoetch work.

Welcome to the Herd, MR! Some nice builds there!
I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Best regards,
Brad

Just thought I'd say High and check in. This is my first post so I have to do one thing I've always wanted to do.

This is my first model.

View attachment 108438

View attachment 108439

I'm just kidding about that being my first model. I build a lot of different things, did N-scale trains 1:160 scale for a long time here's a 2 square foot layout with scratch build gravel equipment.

View attachment 108440

Mostly I've been doing wooden model ships the last couple years,

View attachment 108441

Was looking to take a break and work on my plastic skills so I signed up here. Hoping to learn more particularly in the photoetch work.
Hi and welcome. Loving the ship build, how long did that take? Lot's of friendly help and advice here but looks like you will be helping us. Pantherman

Welcome!!!!! Dig around in older posts, tons of information here and willing answers to questions posted.
Great pictures, keep them coming!!

Thanks everyone.

The Constitution took about a year to build the first time. I stripped the rigging and spent about 4 months doing it over a couple years ago. Like all modelers I keep learning. I already picked up some great tips reading on the site.

Here's some more samples of stuff I've done in recent years. I spent the last year working with a group of guys known as weasel works to produce a limited run wood model kit of the stern of an English yacht. We produced 10 kits. I did a bunch of 3D modeling for machining the stern parts, 3d printed rear lantern, and did all of the sculptures in a program called Mudbox. They were then machined from boxwood. It's at 1:24 so it's massive about 17 inches long. Here's a couple photos of the prototype. THIs is not mine it was built by the head of the group.

Fubbsprototop-L.jpg

fubbsprotoback-L.jpg

I've been working on my kit for a couple months and I'm tired of all the sawdust. Here is the point my model is at. I've been working on adding some more detail on the lower deck. I did this door by laminating some African blackwood on a piece of cherry and carving it with a massively upgraded 3018cnc machine. Wood models, particularly ones with a lot of kit bashing or scratch work, take so much time I get burned out and need to break them up with other projects.

Fubb-162-L.jpg

Fubb-124-M.jpg

I did a model of the black pearl for my wife. This was a ZHL Kit that took about 6 months. It is lighted and has the full crew with Jack Sparrow etc.

bp901-L.jpg

Here's my current train layout it's only 3 foot by 6 foot. but it looks bigger in photos.

SC001-L.jpg

The background is a photo I stitched together from the top of Vail pass.

SC008-L.jpg

Everything is fully computerized including running the trains lights in the buildings the signals etc.

sig007.jpg

Been branching out some with painting a few figures. That was always one of my weak spots. Got some crazy eyes going on :O

Fubb-090-M.jpg

I also want to build a model of the destroyer I was on, I have the kit and the PE to go with it. Also want to learn to resistance solder etc. The photoetch stuff has always given me fits for one reason or another. My first love in the modeling world was 1:35 armor type stuff, but I moved away from it many years ago, the T34-76 in the first post is the only 1:35 model I've built in the last 20 years. Really looking forward to getting into some armor, and using my train skills to do some dioramas.

Just had the thought it'll be nice to work in a larger scale. Kind of funny I think of 1:35 as a large scale after all the time doing 1:160 trains. One thing I have learned is it doesn't really matter what scale you build in. The scale just changes what details you need to add. A doorknob at 1:160 is about invisible. At 1:24 you have to make it look good.

Last edited:
Nice work !

A fellow squid huh , which ship ?
what was your rate , or were you a zero ?
I was an MM on CVN-71

Thanks, I was a Fire Controllman FC1 on the USS John Rodgers DD-983. The Dragon Ingersoll (Spruance Class) model has the same weapons configuiration so only needs a couple minor plastic modifications and a different number and name.

Welcome. I’ve thought about taking on a wooden sailing ship kit myself someday. I’m not one who will shy away from a challenge.

Man , my dad ended up as the chief quality control guy at Diego Garcia when they were overhauling that entire complex in the 90's or late 80's -- I need to call my mom for the date , lol .
I don't remember if I was still in the fleet or not .

The Navy lost a bunch of his shit when they moved him back to the States .
Including my S7G ballcap I had given him from the reactor prototype I trained on up in upstate NY .
It was the only thing I wanted after he passed away . Friggin Navy giveth and then taketh away .

That was a one of kind reactor -- no control rods , it used gadolinium tubes that controlled reactivity .Total freakshow .
Probably decommissioned not long after I was there since the core was almost spent when I trained on it over the winter of 86-87 .

Nice builds and nice layout. Would love to see a video of the railroad in operation.

I do have some videos but they aren't very good. I'm not really much for making vidoes, just haven't taken the time to learn to do it well.

For some context. This is a test of the layout that I did around Christmas a couple years ago. I wanted to test everything, so I programmed this sequence into the computer. It's running at double the normal speed because I was running it repeatedly to make sure the layout was reliable, that's why I had the trains going so fast. The track is hand built with a combination of fast tracks jigs and just building over printed templates. This test runs through all the turnouts both ways to make sure they are all working. The building lights are on 5 different zones and start turned on then turn off and start o come back on at the 5:30 mark. You can see it if you watch down by the church at that time. The signals are working if you watch the signal bridges you'll see them change colors at varios times. Sound is done with a Surround Tracks system that uses plays the locomotive and crossing sounds etc via the DCC control. Like I said it isn't much of a video but it'll give you a taste.

Welcome. I’ve thought about taking on a wooden sailing ship kit myself someday. I’m not one who will shy away from a challenge.

Wood ship models aren't any harder than plastic just much messier and more time consuming. Coming from plastic you'll also likely find yourself questioning why you're making a lot of the items out of wood when you could build a plastic one that would look more realistic. The main reason for that is you can't scale the grain of the real wood down. I often find myself having that thought when I'm working on wood models.

Y'all come on in, welcome!

If you built what you've posted already, it appears there just ain't alot we can help you with. That all looks just fine, and should be on the cover of some magazine, if there was such a thing anymore. When I say "we" with help, I mean mostly "me", I can't speak for these other folks. I have a problem sometimes with "Part A goes into Part B and Part C should still move freely". Part "C" probably ain't gone move at all. Ever again.

Rob.

Latest posts

Back