How to handle a telemarketer....

if there is one thing i hate, its Telephone solicitors, and not to recently, we had a running for Michigan governor, so you could guess all the political phone calls. one time a guy called me while i was watching the house for my grandpa, and when i realized who it was, i made a extremely loud noise in the phone, like Loid in Dumb and dumber, im sure it hurt his ears! :D

Best I did was when the phone company called to sell a long distance plan that I have no need for. I insisted that I didn't need a plan but the lady was persistent and said that that I could call my friends cheaper. In a calm voice I said.......I have no friends.....I just forgot to add "that live long distance" ;D....there was a long pause and I said I have to go, thank you...bye .

And, to think, all I've been doing is saying "no" then hanging up.
Guess I need to get more creative

This is what I did once when I knew the phone call was a telemarketer:

Me: I would like to order a large pepperoni pizza

Tele: I'm sorry, I called you

Me: Nope, did I get domino's?

Tele: Excucse me, but I called you, can I talk to you about...

Me interupting: I am sure I called domino's, well if you are not them, why am I talking to you?

Tele: But I called you

Me: Well sorry I got the wrong number, I am going to look it up and try again, goodbye

I am sure I gave him something to talk about when he got off of work.

DXM said:
Best I did was when the phone company called to sell a long distance plan that I have no need for. I insisted that I didn't need a plan but the lady was persistent and said that that I could call my friends cheaper. In a calm voice I said.......I have no friends.....I just forgot to add "that live long distance" ;D....there was a long pause and I said I have to go, thank you...bye .

LOL!

Grendels said:
This is what I did once when I knew the phone call was a telemarketer:

Me: I would like to order a large pepperoni pizza

Tele: I'm sorry, I called you

Me: Nope, did I get domino's?

Tele: Excucse me, but I called you, can I talk to you about...

Me interupting: I am sure I called domino's, well if you are not them, why am I talking to you?

Tele: But I called you

Me: Well sorry I got the wrong number, I am going to look it up and try again, goodbye

I am sure I gave him something to talk about when he got off of work.

man you guys are giving me some bad ideas.... ;)

Really funny, thank you.
And i think i have the shortest version for keeping those guys away from your phone:

-Telemarketer: hello Mr (insert name here), i'm calling you for blah blah blah...
-Me: I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, we don't have a phone here.
And hung up quick, of course ^^

Exarkun77 said:
Really funny, thank you.
And i think i have the shortest version for keeping those guys away from your phone:

-Telemarketer: hello Mr (insert name here), i'm calling you for blah blah blah...
-Me: I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, we don't have a phone here.
And hung up quick, of course ^^
bet that confused the heck right out of him.

Here's one for the books:

A guy calls me right before I get ready to leave for work - He's an Everdry salesman. The conversation took a little longer that it'll take to read this. It took over a minute because of the silence between responses from the operator, and myself.

Me: Hello?

Everydry salesman: "Good morning sir, I'm calling because your neighbor told us that you basement is leaking, or it's been wet".

Me: Really?

Everdry salesman: "Yes".

Me: Well, that wasn't very nice of them to do that! I can't believe they would go around telling the whole world about my personal business - unbelievable!!

Everdry salesman: "Well, sir I'm prepared to make you a special offer -"

Me: Wait - couldn't it have been the old lady on the corner?

Everdry salesman: "I don't know for sure, I didn't take the call."

Me: Well, I don't know who it could've............(long pause), now that I think about it, I'll bet it was the busybody down the street - she's always telling everyones' business to anyone who will listen anyway! (sounding pissed now)

Everdry salesman: (laughs)

Me: No - it must've been superman! I told him to stop looking at all my models with his X-ray vision, they aren't for sale!

Everydry salesman: "Um, sir?"

Me: (interrupting) It had to be him, because no one else can possibly see into my basement!

Everydry salesman: "I'm not sure who it is, we only get recommendations from our customers."

Me: You don't remember your customers?

Everdry salesman: "Yes, we do, but we don't always remember who they recommened, since we only contact the person they recommend to us."

Me: Well, if you can't remember who told you, how am I supposed to know who to call, and cuss out for telling my personal business to a total stranger?

Everdry salesman: (laughing out loud, while replying)"I'm only a representative of the company, sir - don't have any personal information like that."

Me: Well whoever called you, and told you that I have a wet basement is a liar - it's perfectly dry under my foundation!!

Everdry salesman: "Your foundation?"

Me: It'd be a hell of a trick! I told you no one could see into my basement - I don't have one!!!!!!

Everdry salesman: "Um, your crawlspace?"

Me: Nope, I don't have one of those either. Nice try! I guess this is part of your spiel that you have to tell everyone? I don't have a basement, but my buddy down street has does - I'm sure he won't mind if you guys come over, and look at it.

Everdry salesman: "Uh, that won't be neccessary -"

Me: Why not? He probably has some type of leak down there, he keeps telling me that it backs up in the sewer every now, and again.

"Everdry salesman: (said nervously)"Um - no, that's OK. Have a nice day, sir!"

Me: You sure?

Everdry salesman: "No, I'm positive - it's OK! Thanks for your time. Uh, have a nice day, sir!"

Me: (said in a sarcasticly nonchelant voice) You too! Thanks for calling.

Latest posts

Back