How do you appraise your completed static scale models for insurance purposes?

t_tail_boy

There is the money cost:

-plastic and wood scale model kits (airplanes, buildings, trains, vehicles, boats ,ships, etc.)
-custom decal printing services
-supplies expended in the builds as plastic putty, masking tape, sandpaper, sanding sticks, paints and glues

How much is my model worth for insurance claims for every hour I put into building it? The most expensive materials are the kits, primers and paints, especially spray paints in rattle cans. One lousy rattle can of Tamaiya primer is $13.00!

I need to determine the value of my models for home inventory.

That made me check up on the price of Tamiya's primer --- wow , it keeps going up .
I remember when everyone was complaining when it went to ~6 bucks a can .

Keep your receipts :D

I always do in my computer. Receipts for personal property are made in to digitized copies from electric shavers to air conditioners. I have an Access database for home inventory. That is a big can of primer I ordered from amazon, Lowe's hardware size, though, not the typical little 3 oz modeler's can. You can't get some stuff in my small hick town in Oklahoma at the local Hobby Lobby. My chrome touch-up paint had to be special ordered to boot. Many car and truck kits have "chrome-plated" parts and they need to be touched up in the spots where they are cut off from the runner with an Xacto knife. Using silver paint to do this isn't kosher.

I'll have to consult with my insurance agent about how they appraise home-made hobby items for losses as models, crafts, art and furniture.

Last edited:
A message to my insurance agent:

Mr. Agent:

I have certain personal possessions that are built by myself. One is a piece of furniture: a custom stand to hold my desktop PC tower. I have also recently taken up building scale model airplanes and model vehicles from plastic kits.

I was wondering how to calculate the value of these things for insurance purposes. These model airplanes are rather expensive to build these days. The unassembled kits can be anywhere from $15 to $50. The prices of the specialized model paints in building these kits are horrendous. A 3 oz spray paint rattle can be anywhere from $5 to $16. Some of these items can't be purchased in local stores and have to be online ordered and may incur high shipping costs. Spray paint shipping costs are especially a rip-off. You can't just use ordinary cheap spray paint from Lowe's to build kitted model airplanes or else it would eat the plastic.

When appraising the value of a model or other craft project I build, should I consider the amount of materials as paint and glue used? I just ordered a $13 can of primer from amazon.com for model building but that can can cover several models. I have a postal scale at home. Should I weigh the spray paint can and determine how much was used to build a specific model and note this in my home inventory? Also, these spray paint cans don't last on the shelf forever. I might only use half that can of primer for one or more projects and the other half might go to waste on the shelf unused from old age.

Aside from raw materials, there is personal time and labor put in for my homemade crafts projects. For insurance purposes, what is each and every hour I put in to complete a project worth? If my completed model airplane should be destroyed in a fire, how much money for each and every man-hour that went into building it would I get paid on a hypothetical claim?

Let's use a particular model airplane project as an example:

1. Atlantis Boeing, 1:96 scale plastic 727 kit, $35 with shipping costs and tax included
2. Tamiya spray surface primer: $13 with tax and shipping costs included
3. custom printed decal sheet, $45, cover three different model projects
4. Model Masters Plum Crazy paint, 3 oz can, $16 with tax and shipping
5. Testors silver paint, 3 oz can, $6 bough locally
6. 30 man hours to computer-design the custom decals for the model airplane
7. 50 man hours to completely build the model airplane from a store-bought kit

Some people are hobby artists. What are their homemade paintings and sculptures worth for insurance purposes? Some people make their own clothes, seave their own baskets, make their own pottery and knit their own blankets. There is time and labor beyond the cost of raw materials.

Sincerely,
T. Tail Boy

There is the money cost:

-plastic and wood scale model kits (airplanes, buildings, trains, vehicles, boats ,ships, etc.)
-custom decal printing services
-supplies expended in the builds as plastic putty, masking tape, sandpaper, sanding sticks, paints and glues

How much is my model worth for insurance claims for every hour I put into building it? The most expensive materials are the kits, primers and paints, especially spray paints in rattle cans. One lousy rattle can of Tamaiya primer is $13.00!

I need to determine the value of my models for home inventory.
My friend keep s a complete list on his computer manufacturer model current listed price. Paints same manufacturer color or code price. Had another friend who has 7000 Roco tanks figured if his house burned down sent a list to his insurance and the average price at that time was 7 bucks nowadays they are much higher. Funny he told me he got most when they were just 50 cents LoL I remember getting some because they were 50 cents.

Latest posts

Back