How did you get into building model kits?

The first model I remember building was the old Monogram USS Arizona. Someone (can't remember who) gave it to me for Christmas when I was 6 or 7. No one in my immediate family modeled, so it took both of my parents and a lot of smeared glue and lost pieces to get it together. I was hooked after that, and spent the next several years building mostly jets and ships which I then blew up in the yard or stock tank behind the house. I slowed down in high school and college, but never quit completely. I've always had a kit or two in some stage of completion. Amazingly, the old Arizona still sits atop my bookshelves.

My father got me into model building at a young age.
I don't remember the first kit I built, but I do remember taking FOUR tries to build the old AMT USS Enterprise before I got one to stay together and not melt.
Back then, I didn't paint much, and barely handled decals.
I was, maybe, 9 or 10, still in elementary school.

Built a couple crappy models as a little kid, from middle school on I completely gave up on it, never even really thought about it again until I was about 24. I sort stumbled across some youtube videos like the Japanese Plamo Tsukurou series, Scott Girvan's show, and ModelManTom that really sparked my interest in the hobby back up. Went down to my local HobbyTown, picked up a couple kits and some basic tools and supplies. I was hooked from that day on.

My father gave me a model car kit he got at a sales convention for Malco Products of Barberton Ohio. My dad was a distributor in Richmond, Virginia. Anyway it was a kit of Ohio George Montgomery's Willys coupe drag car. I fooled about with it and glued many parts on, I was eight years old. I remember being fascinated at my first trip to Bob's Hobby Shop in Richmond and the Tank bug bit me hard. I still built a few Monogram cars and aircraft but Tanks are what I really liked and still do.

I was about 8 or 9 and the primary school had a 'hobbies' day where you go to try a new hobby so I brought some cheap crushes, some humbrol enamels and tamiya's Lamborghini countach.
It was awful, painted the interior red, the entire interior, seats gauges and all. Black chassis and rather than paint the body white,as it was moulded in white I just glued it together and let the black seep out the seam all around the outside.
But it was a start and over the years I have given up and restarted the hobby a couple of time, and now with a wife and a body more suited to a quiet night in than a big night out I don't see myself losing it again.

It was my father that got me started, and once started, I didn't stop until college.

I first got into modeling at about 9 when I was in a corner store in Halifax looking at the small ship models, I didn't know anything about modeling so the owner told me to pick one and he helped me build it. I have been building with the occational stop since.

A familly freind introduced me when a was in elementary school. We made 2 or 3 dinosaurs together, just glue no paint, and after he help me put together a F-22 that sit in a box for years. After that I never really thought about modeling since I was 23 and get into a different time schedule than my girlfriend. At the time I decided to give it a try to came back to the hobby, I was talking about but not doing it, so one day my girlfriend brought me a Revell 57 Covette with a Testor starter kit. I started slowly and than I retook contact with SMA Neo who was already a good friend but we had lost a bit track and he really hook me for good.

My brother bought me a Tiger when i was about 10 that started me off, but i stooped in my 20s as most of us do, then one day i was on yt looking at something and came across a vid by Ken Abrams and that was that start of it again,

Like many of us i built (poorly) as a kid and then a few years ago bought the wallace and grommit van for my stepdaughter, but ended up building it for her and the rest is history!

Mine's about the same as most. My dad got me a Beaver in 1/24th scale, jacked the decals everywhere but where they should have been. Growing up in Lake Geneva you were always exposed to D&D and was in 25 mm figs for years. Saw a hobby mag in my 20's and dabbled when time and space allowed. About a year ago made the space and still time is an issue but it is something that isn't tangible and hard to explain why it appeals so much but it does. Well enough rambling,, thanx :)

Latest posts

Back