How are plastic model kits produced?

whiskee

Anyone know of any good resources/videos/links about what goes into making a model kit? Every time I build a model no matter how simple or complex, my mind is blown by the fact that someone had to build, carve, sculpt, the subject first, then actually engineer the darn thing to be assembled(easily with instructions). For the amount of work one would imagine that would take, its incredible to think how many models are out there to build..Just imagine the amount of man hours invested in the artwork, research, and engineering that went into the Tamiya catalog alone(non to mention their r/c stuff!). Even the instructions themselves are pretty complex and impressive works.

There was a great video showing the process at Fine Molds...I think. I seem to remember Grendels posting a link here about a year ago.

I'm not exactly sure where that would be now. Look WAY back on the chit chat section.

I used to work IM presses and extruders. Not real exciting until a line blows. Nothing like molten plastic under 1000+ PSI spraying all over. Easy to clean after it cools though.

thats pretty cool beans, i am guessing it does not differ much from company to company.

There isn't alot of it that is done by hand any more.

For the most part they can scan the actual 1:1 vehicle, throw it into CAD, have a CnC machine cut and polish the molds.

Not as labor intensive as it used to be, but what they lack in labor costs, they make up with using fancy scanning and cutting computers.

That same channel has some other interviews with aftermarket companies that produce resin and photoetch as well as whole kits. Very informative channel!

Back