HobbyBoss Dora Rail Gun

DreamKnight

Anyone get their hands on this babe yet?

82911.jpg

Looks awesome! It'a a bit pricey though.

No takers here, pricey...yeah....but it is huge, almost 44" long in 1/72, and over 1700 parts.

HY82911-1.jpg

Krupp's 2nd 1350 tonne WWII era railway heavy siege gun. Kit consists of 1767 parts and features accurately molded massive dual-hull superstructure, 4 bogie span bolsters (with asymmetric left and right assemblies), control room, and complex gun carriage - all supporting an exceptional weapon with rifled barrel. Also includes injection-molded railings and ladders, shells, charges, 2 ammunition elevators, display base (side-by-side railway tracks with bed), plus photo-etch parts (6 frets including walkways and load bearing platform elements). Assembled gun is adjustable in elevation (includes breech ballast for balance) and completed length is approximately 43.75". Decals and painting guide.

Just shy of $300CDN

I have the 1/35 scale dora. I am still working on it so it may be awhile before I get the lil one.

OZ

That looks nice! You say it's in 72nd? Much better in that scale than the huge 35th..... I saw it and it's zoo big, you can hardly display it! It is a great model but.... This offering might be more
Manageable ? How is it for price? Compared to the mammoth 35th scale one?

1700 plus parts... Wow! It's like building 6 tanks..... ! Quite the project!

If you buy it? Clear up the table!

That price is Not bad at all! Considering the amount of parts! As I was comparing this GUN kit to roughly 6 tanks kits, those being approximately 250-300 parts each and usually running for 50-$75$, I think at that price, it is definatly a great buy! For those so incline to spend the next 6 month cooked up in there model room!

Joking aside! We need to see close ups pictures of the model or the sprues. HobbyBoss has been pushing out great models as of late. Maybe this is one of those?

The big 35th scale brother is about 600$. Which makes sense.

OZ said:
I have the 1/35 scale dora.

Me too.

I have a future diorama planned for it and plenty of room to mount it on the wall of my den where my drum set and guitars and model stuff resides. I may have to move the two mounted deer heads to do so though but the wife isn't too crazy about those anyway.

;D

man... that thing looks huge as a kit, emagine the real deal! holy cow!! the sound of that thing going off must have been defining!!!

that must have been alot of man power and time for the Germans to produce that, especially during that time!

It took a crew of 2200 men to move, build and operate.

I have a customer here that once he saw the HB 1/72 version, wanted the 1/35 version....so I guess I will get to see the 1/35 monster first hand!

Elm City Hobbies said:

I have a customer here that once he saw the HB 1/72 version, wanted the 1/35 version....so I guess I will get to see the 1/35 monster first hand!

humm? What are we supposed to deduct from that quote? Does the HB Dora sux that bad? Or your customer is made of money?

Just asking?

schweinhund227 said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

humm? What are we supposed to deduct from that quote? Does the HB Dora sux that bad? Or your customer is made of money?

Just asking?

Maybe a little of both?

Nope, just thought why stop at 1/72, and why not go for the big one. He didn't end up getting the HB kit in the end, and just opted for the 1/35 one. Had to have it special ordered, and my supplier is probably pissed at me because they decided to get more than just the one I wanted and had no idea that they could even be had anymore. Oh well....I only wanted one.

He declined the metal barrel and receiver, as they would have added $250each to the bill! LOL

Wow! Expensive upgrade! In deed!

Understandable thou! Knowing how big the barrel is ? That's one big turned aluminum either in 72nd and even bigger in 35th.

But 250$ is outside my confort zone ! Just for a turned barrel!

Elm City Hobbies said:
Nope, just thought why stop at 1/72, and why not go for the big one. He didn't end up getting the HB kit in the end, and just opted for the 1/35 one. Had to have it special ordered, and my supplier is probably pissed at me because they decided to get more than just the one I wanted and had no idea that they could even be had anymore. Oh well....I only wanted one.

He declined the metal barrel and receiver, as they would have added $250each to the bill! LOL

How much was the 1/35 scale one? That's pretty big but it would be a heck of a project. I can add it to my pile of models that I will get too sometimes in the next 50 years. lol

I got mine through Squadron. I had to have them special order it for me, apparently they brought in a couple of them, but I see they are OOS now, but can probably order more.

http://www.squadron.com/NoStock.asp?item=ACMT3511

However I have seen them other places (Internet Hobbies maybe?) in the sub $700 range

I haven't seen it yet, but it would be a huge beast, excess of 2500 parts I believe.

Merit International is the importer, and they have some pics on their website as to the size of it.

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/soa-xxxxxx.htm

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/soa-xxxxxxm.htm

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/soa-xxxxxxp.htm

I'm Elm City's Customer.
When I saw the 1/72 it reminded me of an article in Fine Scalr Modeller many years ago where I was impressed by the size of the gun. I thought the 1/72 Dora would look good as a comparison in scale to the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette (the gun is bigger than the ship). Once I started looking for info on the Dora I realized that there was a 1/35 available so I thought 'Go big or go home!' I have not been disappointed!

By the way, it is my first German Armor kit.

Oh man...

I've got a 1/35 scale Leopold waiting to be build, but that's a mere baby compared to Dora. Hmmm, how to get that massive kit to Denmark?

My local hobby shop has the 1/35 dora and i would love to know how big is this thing i mean the 72nd scale is big but the 35th scale now thats big.

:)

Panzerman

Latest posts

Back