Hobby Boss Saurer RK7

FAUST

Ola Guys

Time for another project on the bench. I know I still got lots of things unfinished. But either I'm fed up with them, or bored out of my mind by them, or looking to replace/scratch parts I damaged or waiting for replacement parts to come in. So I dismissed them all to the shelf and started with a kit that I got for my birthday a few weeks back.

And it is this kit:
RK7_001.jpg

And that is when I settled on a nice OOTB built (spoiler alert!!! It will never be that easy)
So on to step one the roadwheel sets
RK7_002.jpg

And then the following steps where mainly dealing with the undercarriage and such.
RK7_003.jpg

RK7_004.jpg

It was around this point 2 days into the built I decided to give the OOTB idea a kick and out the window it went.
I love building diorama's and I'm a graphic designer by trade. I am very good at thinking in pictures. So as soon as I have a vehicle in my hands the ideas start running. And then suddenly I have that "Eureka!" moment and there is no way that idea will go away. And I got one of those ideas for this vehicle. More on that later.

Opening all doors and showing the insides of the vehicle was part 1 of the plan. However. Hobby Boss did a great job on the outside of the vehicle... The inside really is only correct if the Saurer RK 7 would carry a black hole inside. There is absolutely nothing in there. And the floor isn't correct... and there are no holes where holes should be. Well Time to fix that last thing. getting out the Saw!!!!
RK7_005.jpg

RK7_006.jpg

RK7_007.jpg

The hump by the entrance went from side to side while on the real vehicle it protrudes just a bit out of the sidewall while the middle is flat. And on the left side of the vehicles front where the engine is located there is a hole in the sidewall where the exhaust goes through inside the armored cover. Which incidentally also had a hole in the bottom which had to be cut out.

This is how it stands now
RK7_008.jpg

And then it came to thinking about what to put inside. I have the Nuts n Bolts about this vehicle but of course as luck will have it they released a revised version. Which I have to purchase to see if any new info reached the surface. The engine is ordered. It actually needs a 4 litre engine but I bought the 3,7L Blitz engine with Transmission from Dnepromodel. Which will do fine. I'm also on the lookout for a Radio rack as it was placed in the SdKfz 251/3 from Zvezda. If anybody has this part and doesn't mind parting with it I'd love to take it over. Engine compartment and firewall need to be scratched. Anti Slip floor. Drivers area. All the radio equipment. The commanders area.

Then I started raiding the scrapbox. And I remembered I had a box of leftovers from a DML SdKfz 253 which I converted into a workshop vehicle with crane years ago. And All the communication parts. The armored glass blocks, the sliding persicope etc etc. were picked out for this project.
Below 2 pics of the scavenged stuff.
RK7_009.jpg

RK7_010.jpg

More to come soon.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker

Tracks and tires, who wouldn't love that! Cool buggy ;D will be watching your progress with this.

Happy late birthday ;D

I have been looking at this kit for some time now. I look forward to your build progress. It's a very cool looking subject.

Very cool Robert, Try not to go mad with getting rid of the oob because sometimes this is what is needed to just build oob and get a build complete ;)

oh the first time you ope the box you cant beat it.....this is a build i will enjoy its a strange looking thing alright

Thanks guys for the comments.

@ Subhuman. It are these oddities that I love to built.

@ Wyoroy
Thanks for the birthday wishes. It is absolutely a cool vehicle. And as long as you keep the doors shut and a figure in the top hatch and your off to a quick built.

@ Spud
It kinda is the curse of my person. Even if I promise myself something is going to be a quick built it never ends with that. The only times I ever managed to do that it was because there was absolutely no AM stuff available for it. I somehow can't contain myself. specially if I know that something is... Hold for it..... "wrong with it"

@ Andrei
Thanks mate. I had a soft spot for this vehicle ever since I built the Armour accesories vehicle. And Now I have the chance to give it some insides as well.

@ Geegad.
Yeah it is really hard. I have some many projects on the backburner... For an equal amount of reasons why they are. I'm a great starter. Not so fast a finisher though. And then you also have to consider the fact that the Germans really made sure there were enough interesting vehicles for us to built :D

I hate to be a complete noobie, but what does OOTB mean?

@ Hook
Don't worry I had to ask as well when I first stumbled accross that abbreviation the first time.
It means Out OF The Box. Pretty much meaning. Build it as you buy it without Aftermarket stuff

Latest posts

Back