Hobby Boss 1:700 Scale Typhoon Class Submarine WIP

Mikey_W_1980

In order to try and get myself back into building (to which I have a number of kits on the pile to finish off) I decided on this nice little build.

I've always wanted to build the Red October, complete with caterpillar hydro drive. Though this kit is a tad on the small side for me to make to modifications, I decided to go ahead and build it as one of the 6 Typhoon Class Russian Submarines built between 1981 and 1989.

The build itself only took just under 45 minute.....very simple and went together fairly well, just a few pics of the build as it went along.

DSC_0008.jpg

The instructions - all be it all 6 stages are printed on the back
DSC_0009.jpg

Contents, minus the small decal sheet
DSC_0007.jpg

forward bow plane extended - the other option it to have it retracted
DSC_0010.jpg

Hull sealed together - some cleaning up needed and possible re-etching some of the hull platings with some additional sanding
DSC_0011.jpg

Conning Tower constructed
DSC_0012.jpg

Rear propellers, bow planes and rudders fitted
DSC_0013.jpg

Conning tower attached and temporarily placed on its mount. some tidying up to do once everything has dried and then on to paint.
DSC_0014.jpg

As you can see, it's a fairly simple build at this scale. Only 24.5 cm in length. I'd like to have a crack at the 1:350 scale at some point.

I think I'll be doing a standard paint job, black with the red lower hull sections.....may do a bot of light weathering on certain areas.

lots of seam work and pre-paint prep to do first though

OK, so over the past week or so I've managed to get paint and a few decals done,

First step was a flat Matt black base
DSC_0016.jpg

Trying to keep the detail of panels too, so only a light(ish) coating
DSC_0017.jpg

Next up, masking of the lower hull and water line
DSC_0018.jpg

Then a nice coating of maroon red
DSC_0019.jpg

Once dried, turned out quite nice
DSC_0002.jpg

Next up, masking off the white boarder line which will be painted using Tamiya flat white....
DSC_0003.jpg

What I didn't expect was some minor bleeding of the paint along the panel lines which were touched up with Tamiya's flat black.....though I think a little more may be needed
IMG-20161108-WA0014.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

There aren't that many decals, just 2 for the Nuclear reactors and the water level lines along the hull and rudders
DSC_0002_1.jpg

DSC_0003_1.jpg

I think there may be a little more work needed to touch up in areas....other than that and some sealant once the decals have dried in full.

Any critique or pointers to try and improve, always welcomed.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back