hi from me

maxmwill

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam
I just joined today. While this deals primarily with scale, there is no specified area, so all I can say is that I like RC scale, but I also find enjoyment in plastic scale, mostly 1/48, although if a certain bird(such as the Fairey Gannet) is in 1/72 only, I'll build that too.

I like the not so well known subjects, such as one plastic project I've in the works, a 1/48 scale DeHavilland Genet Moth, in which I take a 1/48 scale DH60G Moth and convert it to take a Genet engine. As there are no 3 views, I'm kind of "eyeballing" photos and planning to modify the model accordingly.

On the RC front, I've begun collecting information on the early Yakolev jet fighters, most notably the Yak Jumo(which was a Yak 3 with a Jumo engine added, with the necessary fuselage changes) to the Yak 23. I have a 70mm electric ducted fan which might do a wonderful job on something like that.

But, like any other modeller, or maybe not like other modellers, I'm willing to share information no matter what(I say not like other modellers, because some modellers want to compete in competitions so badly that they refuse to share any information at all, something I've run into in the past, and probably will in the future). But what I learn, I'm always happy to share, because as modellers, we are also craftsmen(and craftswomen, as there are ladies who do indeed participate in the various aspects of the hobby, and many of them are quite good at it), and so we, each of us, benefit from a general sharing on knowledge, and I am no different.

Professsionally, in real life, I am a licensed A&P mechanic, which means I get to work, on occasion, on the real thing, and so, in my various endeavors as a modeller, it behooves me to build something that might look like it fits on the "real thing", and not something that was merely added on out of convenience(as on some early RC models the hinges on the wings for ailerons looking decidedly out of scale, which was simply of necessity). But as far as plastic models are concerned, I like radial engines, because not only are they "up front and totally visible), but also they are usually what people look at first, so I like to have separate pushrods and ignition wires.

My apologies for such a rambling post, because this is supposed to be more of a "hi, here I am" kind of thread. I'll warn everyone now in that I won't get into any kind of fights or other kind of urinating contests(is that the polite way of saying it?) with anyone, because not only do I assume that everyone else knows more than I do about just about anything, but also because such actions just ain't worth it, because this hobby of ours is supposed to be fun and somewhat relaxing, and there really shouldn't be fighting on anyone's part, unless we're arguing about minor little points which don't really amount to a hill of beans in the final analysis.

Anyway, this is me, so I hope that I can contribute something of value, and also learn to make new friends(unlike young Anakin skywalker, whose mother told him to make a friend, so he did, resulting in C3PO).

Latest posts

Back