Help with pigment powders?

Bullet21

I'm working on improving my weathering on armor and decided to try this pigment stuff. Can anyone offer up some tips on how to apply it? And how to make it stay on afterward? Thanks eh?

Here are a couple of general tips which might be usfull as a starting point:

For small detail areas (wheel wells, exhaust stains, etc.) I like to use a short, very stiff brish to "scrub" on the weathering powder.

For a larger, overall pigment application I use a makeup brush which I stole from my wife.

Try working over a sheet of paper when applying pigment powder. It makes less of a mess and allows you to re-use the powder that falls off the model.

Well,

Jon the ''Scalemodelmedic" linked above is definitely an artist (and a very good friend of mine) but I too have a video on my channel and my method is slightly different.

Weathering with pigments

I am also editing a second pigment video together which shows more uses for pigments as they have tons of other uses and abilities when one thinks outside the box.

My advice would be to watch Jons vid, my vid, google a few more and take what you can from all of them.

Hope that helps.

8)

Thanks man, that helps alot. I watched your vid and a few from Jon, learned alot in a short time from all of them! Now, where did I hide that bench? I got a few old junkers ready to practice on so I'm gonna do just that. Thanks again.

Hey, I just bought myself a new airbrush a few weeks ago and received it yesterday. I mixed up weathering pigments with alcohol (1:1) and put it in my airbrush. When I started spraying nothing came out, so I took the airbrush apart and all the pigments got clogged inside. Should I leave the pigments in the alcohol for longer, so they can dissolve??? Is there anything else I could do??
Airbrush: 0.25 mm, gravity feed

Thank you very much for your help!

Maybe it's just me but I haven't heard of actually airbrushing pigments this way. I know Ken will fill up a paint brush and then blast it with air via the airbrush to get splatter and effects.

Honestly, I would expect that to clog up your brush. Where did you get the tip to mix pigs and alcohol then spray it??

I've seen this technique demonstrated to good effect using an external mix airbrush...
airbrush-paasche.jpg

The pigment was thinned with Testors Acrylic Thinner/water and brushed on in several thin layers.

I think using an external mix airbrush is the only way to apply pigments this way, an internal mix would just get gummed-up.

Theoretically, mixing pigments with a carrier of some sort, you are just making paint, as that is what paint is made from are pigments.

That being said, you need a very small amount of pigment to mix with a carrier, and the likelyhood of getting the pigment mixed properly with the carrier so it doesn't settle out in your airbrush is probably going to be next to impossible. The pigments used in model paint are alot finer than what you can buy in a pot of weathering pigment, as well weathering pigment has a binding agent in it so it will stick to your kit, pigment in paint wouldn't and I think the binding agent would make it much harder to get the pigment mixed with a carrier so it wouldn't clog your airbrush.

Further more, a .25mm needle/nozzle, way too fine to be spraying that type of concoction, I would think you would need at least a .4mm or larger needle/nozzle set up.

Mix up some pigment with your favorite thinner, get an old brush into the mix and load it up, put the brush between your kit and your airbrush, and spray just air from the airbrush through the paint brush loaded with the wet pigment mix, and blow the pigments onto the kit to create mud splatters.

While I'm not a huge fan of airbrushing pigments (as in my opinion it's effect can be hard to tell from paint) it is very possible and there are those who swear by it.

A new member here (modelmakerz)(sp) has a youtube video using his products. I see him around armor forums and the AMPS site, you can watch his video here:

Airbrushing Weathering Powder

I think they got it covered here.Try out some pigments from DOA.They are cheaper then mig and work just as well.trackpads.co.uk
Go to the Qm shop they have some very fine products for sale there

Latest posts

Back