Have you ever been stuck in a model building rut?

Have you ever been stuck in a model building rut?

• Yes - it's common

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Yes - but not common

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Great conversation. It's been interesting to see so many similarities; can't say I'm surprised.

I'm really in a rut. Haven't touched a kit in weeks...and weeks. Lost my mojo for the Mustang but it's still on the bench. Lately I just open a kit per night and think about building it.

I'm going to try an experiment. I drop wife and kids off at 8am. I start work at 9am. I've been using that time for coffee, PVR or Internet.

I'm going to make it bench time; when I'm fresh. Evenings I'm just too tired.

I'll be back...

Setting a time aside for modeling when you're fresh for the day is a great idea. I need to find the discipline to do the same; it's just too easy to get into something online and before you know it your free time is gone.

I also find I get bogged down for a lot of the same reasons as everyone else. I think airbrushing is my current nemesis. I do great through the build phase and then stall at painting.

I have up and down periods. Several reasons, working on several kits at once and getting overwhelmed. Work is a killer at times and just mentally tired to work on anything after a long day. My other hobby astronomy sometimes takes me away from modeling. To help with several of these issues, I have decided to work on two builds at a time. I also made Sunday afternoons as my model building time. I just recently start doing this and it has helped me get more bench time. Plus, I am well rested by Sunday.

OCD at times

Many times the way to break a rut for me is to simply clean my bench and work area. Sort of like a soul cleansing or a mental reset for me. I sometimes get a bit OCD and have re-arranged the entire 8' X 10' work space! Many times I think a new kit will do but as I am trying to get my stash down to less than 5 kits I am skeptical.
{I have my stash down to 24 at present. most of which I have started. Reason for skepticism.}

Hanging out with some model buddies and discussing various modeling subjects, like on this forum, can help break a cycle. I also have become very choosy about the kits I buy and the amount of work needed to get a good looking model.
Hope this helps.

Very good points. Facing a mess is never motivating so I too do a total tidy up every so often.

I know this makes me an oddity, but I don't have a stash. No, really, I don't. I've got a couple cheep impulse buys sitting started (which wont ever get finished) but that's about it. I really force myself to hold off on the next big kit purchase until I finish the one I'm on. Doesn't help in terms of staying out of a rut, but it keeps me from buying things which I may be interested in now, but perhaps not years from now. :)

For me the fact that I work during the day and seasons are driving factors. In the winter, lack of sunlight in the evenings makes me less inclined to hit the bench so weekends become key. In the summer there is so much outdoor stuff competing for my attention each night (tending garden, mowing, house upkeep) that, again, weekends are key, and if they get chewed up with family and other chores, well there goes modeling for another week. And so it goes a project will get neglected sometimes for weeks at a time. Not to say I don't pick up the scalpel during the week, but it makes for my least productive time at the bench. I really think that I could model for a living...if I could just do it during normal working hours. :)

I think one thing we can all identify with is what I call the "this is THE one" syndrome when you are doing something which is dear to your heart or interest and you want it to be THE Tie Fighter, THE tiger tank, THE bf-109 to end all bf-109s (or whatever) and we, literally, try too hard and end up unmotivated when it doesn't meet that standard we arbitrarily set for it. I know for my part I have to step back sometimes and just say "this isnt the last model I'm ever going to build..." and just move on.

sunsanvil said:
I think one thing we can all identify with is what I call the "this is THE one" syndrome when you are doing something which is dear to your heart or interest and you want it to be THE Tie Fighter, THE tiger tank, THE bf-109 to end all bf-109s (or whatever) and we, literally, try too hard and end up unmotivated when it doesn't meet that standard we arbitrarily set for it. I know for my part I have to step back sometimes and just say "this isnt the last model I'm ever going to build..." and just move on.

I'm guilty of that for sure. I set my expectations too high sometimes.

Tanker52 said:
I have decided to work on two builds at a time.
I've heard that works for alot of people...the key being to actually work on them.

fblanton said:
Many times the way to break a rut for me is to simply clean my bench and work area. Sort of like a soul cleansing or a mental reset for me.
Same here. It does help to get me focused too.

+++

I did manage to move forward a bit with the Mustang. Feels pretty good to move forward.

I start to having trouble getting through a build the second it doesn't go the way I have figure out in my head. And I spend way to much time comparing myself to what I saw others do on the forums and then I see my weakness and it usually drag me back and losing interest. But I always find a way back, more project in my head that I can actually build.

I tried the 2 at a time trick but found it growing as group/club/special interest builds butt in and make 3 or more.
I've given myself a resolution that once we move I'll only build what I really want and give up the group stuff unless it specifically fits what I feel like building at the time and that should help minimise ruts.

Sometimes a group build or a club build helps me stay focused on a particular build, though, I find that I've got a lot of group build subjects in progress, when the initial excitement wears off. Same goes for our club builds. We have a monthly theme contest, but I just can't build fast enough to participate.

Latest posts

Back