Harness Labeling

CY343491

Hi all my friends,
!!YELL WARNING This thread is not about scale modeling but tech stuff, so please don't judge me please

If there are dudes around who make DIY electrical stuff, how do you label your harnesses, most of the people just write cable name on a small paper and tape it on cable, i've found a method like below;

I print my cable name and transfer it to yellow heatshrink, but in this method, some of my toner corrupts, then heatshrink tranparent one to protect it, i'm obsessed with labeling. I'm sharing one of my labeling. Do you know another DIY method i won't buy heatshrink printing machine,, not making mass production.

Attachments

• Harness Label-1.jpg
    Harness Label-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
Wrap a piece of masking tape around the cable, and flatten the two ends into a tag, then write whatever you want on it.
When I did stage lighting, that was the most common method we used to label our lines. On cables or lines with a stage plug, ie, male and female plugs about 3 inches square, that would be in place more or less permanently, we might use a white marker or even white paint to mark them. Usually it was a sequence number to identify the drop, and it was keyed to our house plot, a diagram listing the locations of every drop on stage.
Sometimes we used little price tag labels, or the old type of paper labels on a string or wire, and wrap that around the cable.
No different at home, really, just smaller-gauge cable.
I "dress" my cords, too. That is, after making a connection (device to outlet), I'll take the slack, make a neat loop, and wrap that with a hairband (hat tip to Bob Vila for the hairband tip. Before that, I'd use gaffer's tape or even bread twisties. Rubber bands are no good; they dry out and eventually snap). Again, that's a habit from doing stage lighting. It's distracting and annoying to see a rat's nest of loose cables, whether in a theater or under my desk.

Wrap a piece of masking tape around the cable, and flatten the two ends into a tag, then write whatever you want on it.
İf you use tape as a labeling material, it will fall down by time i suggest you to put transparent heatshrink with proper diameter to protect it, it will also give it a better look

İf you use tape as a labeling material, it will fall down by time i suggest you to put transparent heatshrink with proper diameter to protect it, it will also give it a better look
Nope. Maybe in 30 years' time, masking tape will deteriorate and flake away.

We have a saying here in America, "Keep it simple". Your method requires buying heat-shrink material and a means of heating and shrinking the material. That requires a power source as well. We used a roll of 3M masking tape, a pocketknife, and a black magic marker, all things that we already have on hand, and that we can use for multiple tasks as well. Much simpler. Frugal.

But we also say, "To each, his own." You use your method, I'll use mine.

Latest posts

Back