Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket (Minicraft 1:48)

Primed! :)

Next up I have a few very small holes to fill then I'll pre-shade.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thats a very nice clean Aircraft there Jason .The primer has went down really well .I blew the pic up as big as i could and it looks perfect :)

Chris.

Thanks guys - Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I've been really busy lately, so I have not worked at my bench in about three weeks. Hoping to get some paint down on this one over the May long weekend.

Jason

This morning I managed some small baby steps toward completing this build. I've been spending a bunch of my modelling time on my BSC build, so the Skyrocket has been neglected, and I'm finding the canopy masking to be a b****h.

I've managed to add some colour in the cockpit area, and finished up the zinc-chromate green in the landing gear bays.

Thanks for looking.

Jason

Sweet :) ...looks good ,wont be long till we see paint on this one too then ;D

Chris.

Thanks Chris and Jim. This is going to seem like a total non-update. You're going to have to trust me. I'm trying a different shading technique on this build. I'm mimicking something I saw over on Doog's Models blog. Basically, you start with your base coat colour, then do your panel line pre-shading, finally go over it again with a semi translucent top coat of your base colour.

So today I did the light grey underside surfaces base coat. Can't you tell... ;)
Turns out that the Vallejo grey primer (73.601) and the Sky Grey (Vallejo MC 70989) are almost exactly the same colour and shade. I can only tell the difference under certain lights...

Any ways it's done. I'll let the coat sit, then a minor touch up and the panel line shading in the next couple days.
Still have to mask the canopy too.

Jason

Bottom pre-shade done. Mix of burnt umber and RLM 79 browns.
Next up: another patchy coat of sky grey, then I'll follow that up with a thinned down / glaze medium blending coat.

Jason

You know this bird is growing on me. I'm really liking those big heavy engines on the wings. I seriously see one of these on the queue in the future.

Thanks guys. :) I appreciate the kind words.

The Skyrocket under surfaces got the next coat of light grey today. Not sure if you can see the pre-shade in the pictures, but in a nice white light I think it looks good.

The intermediate blue upper surfaces are next...Note sure yet, the demarcation line between the blue and gray should be soft edged; I'm thinking paper mask, but I'm almost feeling daring enough to try it free hand we will have to see...

Jason

How did I miss this build?! Looking sweet, Jason! I have this kit in my stash, and I plan to build it as a what-if (not too inspired--what would the F5F look like if it had been accepted for production). Yours is coming along nicely.

Ooops ...Sorry Jason ,I missed a bit ! She's looking great mate ...really like it . I reckon you'd have no trouble freehanding the soft edge ,just take yer time ;)

Chris.

Thanks Guys. :)

Got the canopy masked. I hated masking this one. It's still not 100%, but I need to get over that hump...

the Baron said:
How did I miss this build?! Looking sweet, Jason! I have this kit in my stash, and I plan to build it as a what-if (not too inspired--what would the F5F look like if it had been accepted for production). Yours is coming along nicely.

Baron - Cool. I have a second short nose version in my stash also. I'm planning to do it in a full comic book geekery scheme (DC comics Blackhawk aircraft). ;D NMA and high gloss red and black. I've even got decals...

Blue base coat tomorrow?

Jason

Finished up the intermediate blue base coat this morning. I used super light coats, and a quick hit from a hair dryer and she's pretty much dry. I'm going to start the panel lines next. I'm pretty happy with the free hand so far, some spots got a bunch of overspray however. I'm sure I can clean that up easy after the blend coat. I've a free day so I might even finish up the paint today...fingers crossed.

Jason

Upper surfaces have the pre-shading done. :)

Jason

Latest posts

Back